phosphates

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still having porblems with my phosphates they are really high cleaned out the sump changed the bulb replaced the chaeto i see the cheato is growing but iys still high its reading 0.32 using the 713 hanna checker

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bag of chemipure elite can bring them down. Or some GFO.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still having porblems with my phosphates they are really high cleaned out the sump changed the bulb replaced the chaeto i see the cheato is growing but iys still high its reading 0.32 using the 713 hanna checker
How’s your nitrates, Still low?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quickest,cheapest, and easiest(in my opinion) way is Lanthium chloride(usually what is in the liquid phosphate removers and can also be found for swimming pools). You do need to take precautions(proper dosage, drip into appropriate sock, etc), but it is very inexpensive relative to chemipure/gfo/etc and the results are almost immediate.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacing cheato with cheato is still cheato.
Cleaning sump is good but don't expect that to lower po4.
It's most likely bound in the rock and sand.
Gfo or lc will do it but it takes a long while to bring it down.
How old is your tank and what rock did you use?

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is about 2 years old had sand but took it out little at a time so now its barebottom as far as rock started with marco dry rock

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your best bet is lanthium chloride or gfo.
But you need to research both and decide for yourself which is best for you. Lanthium chloride has been associated with tang deaths if used too quickly. Gfo you need to reactor to get the most out of it.
I'll tell you straight up I have not used either. I have done my research on both. I probably personally would have gone with the gfo but I fixed my problem without either. My po4 was not nearly as high as yours.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So - how does the display look? Corals healthy and happy? Fish? Fat and happy? Er, not fat. Um, healthy? Full?

It is a number. Take stock of the display first and ask how it looks to you. Today to yesterday and then to tomorrow. If everything is swell it is just a number and go from there. My Hanna meter flashes 200 so I know I'm over .6 ppm ;)

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthium chloride is risky. If you dont filter our the particulate it creates, it can kill your fish.

If you have a smaller tank, water changes would be easy. if your nitrates are 0, adding sodium nitrate can actually lower PO4 (things growing in the tank need both, and if one is zero, the other can build up - add the missing one and they will both get used up)

GFO is probably the easiest and safest.

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I missed it, but what type of mechanical filtration, if any, are you using? I battled PO4 for a while and then started using filter socks (changing them out every 2-3 days) which drastically helped. I just recently switched from filter socks to a filter roller (Red Sea ReefMat 1200) which is nothing short of awesome - keeps PO4 down in my system without the hassle of changing filter socks. A good combo of mechanical filtration (filter socks changed frequently, filter roller, etc), skimmer and macro algae should be able to keep your PO4 in check at least to some extent. I know it works for some folks, but for me GFO and LC were hard to balance and did more harm than good.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No filter socks use filter floss and carbon huge skimmer it’s rated for 500 gallons change the filter floss twice a week forgot to mention tank is 200 gallons total water volume

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0.32 is not bad. Do not use lanthanum chloride below 0.5, use gfo.
Or, use nopox, which is vinegar and alcohol, aka carbon dosing with your skimmer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back