phosphates

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider before taking action is do you know why your phosphates may be high and is there a noticeable problem? If there is a problem can it be managed another way (do you have enough herbivores for example or the right ones)?

Also for what it is worth 14 gallons you can change the water and solve the problem without rushing to chemicals.

I feed too much , it’s something I enjoy so don’t want to change that.

Herbivores would just release any po4 they eat so wouldn’t really help.

I would have to change my water many many times to reduce po4 as it’s a very inefficient way to lower po4.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is 200 gallons how many bags do i use
In a big tank, Chemi-pure like products will be expensive and difficult to manage. Cheato can work, but since you don't have room for a reactor, you might not have room for it either. Do you have a skimmer or could you set up some flow through a 10m filter sock? If so, Lanthanum Chloride dosing might be a better option. It certainly works. Like anything else though, it does have some risks.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whats in elite, just carbon and a gfo? If so then it’s even worse than I was thinking as that works out very expensive.

elite is carbon+gfo+plus an ion exchange resin that isn't very helpful in saltwater from my understanding. Blue is ROX 0.8 carbon, purigen, and I think still contains that ion exchange resin.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I overdose phosphate, I just throw a bag of gfo in for a day or two till it is where I like it to be. That should work for you but the timeframe will vary

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed too much , it’s something I enjoy so don’t want to change that.
Fully understand.
Herbivores would just release any po4 they eat so wouldn’t really help.

A balance would be fine but I noticed 14 gallons so your choices are limited.

I would have to change my water many many times to reduce po4 as it’s a very inefficient way to lower po4.

You mentioned a 14 gallon display which means less total water volume once you subtract substrate, rock, etc. In any case I personally wouldn't stress over high phosphates unless there is a major problem. It is just a number that we chase because we can test for it.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 200 gallons with 200 plus rock started the tank with dry Marco rock tank is 2 years plus old so should be no problem as far as it being mature also have no sand have 12 fish 4 are tangs as far as feeding feed frozen brine shrimp oyster feast and pellets I dip food in selcon and garlic seaweed 2x a week

Goodersgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider before taking action is do you know why your phosphates may be high and is there a noticeable problem? If there is a problem can it be managed another way (do you have enough herbivores for example or the right ones)?

Also for what it is worth 14 gallons you can change the water and solve the problem without rushing to chemicals.
If PO4 remains bound within the rock or sand, water change will not eliminate or solve the problem

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the stated that you still have a phosphate problem... so can you be more specific? Is phosphate high of low? How high or low?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If PO4 remains bound within the rock or sand, water change will not eliminate or solve the problem

Of course. Using chems wont' either. It will just come back so why not go the natural route and also top off other parameters.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a huge skimmer as well as the fuge plus 4 filter cups which i put filter floss in 3 of them and the other with bag of carbon water is crystal clear skimmer pulls out alot of gunk so dont know what it really is

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 44 gallon brute with ro water gonna do water change and see what happens im out of solutions some of my corals look like crap

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
teal hammer and my dragon soul torches are not as fully extended as before mummy eye chalice as well dosent look good mixing up my water now using tropic marin reef pro salt did a water last week number was 0.32 before the water change didnt test because everything looked ok could it be that the salt had phosphates they state that they dont gonna test once its mixed 2 b sure

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my thoughts after reading you posts.
1. Cheatogro has a lot of phosphate in it. Maybe add iron instead. Potassium can help also. You can make a simple iron solution using Fergon tablets from the pharmacy. I'll assume nitrates are higher than 0. Your phosphate is high enough that if the Cheato isn't growing, it is a trace element or light deficiency. Besides helping the Cheato, iron can help with phosphate a little by causing it to precipitate out of solution.
2. If I had a big tank and a good skimmer, I would slowly drip a Lanthanum Chloride (Pool Phosphate Remover) solution into the skimmer neck. This causes the phosphate to precipitate out and be removed by the skimmer. I have used this method. It works great. You need to be careful though. Read up, ask questions, and be sure you understand the process before you start. If your rock had a lot of phosphate loosely bound to it, this process might take a while. It will take a while for the bound phosphate to leach out. It will still be way faster than any sort of phosphate remover like Chemi-pure or GFO... and waaaaaaay less expensive.
3. This is just a personal choice, but I don't put carbon in really high flow areas. I'm always afraid that the turbulence and friction will cause minute shards of carbon to escape the bag and irritate everything. It the cup you are using is super turbulent I would take the carbon out of it.
4. Water changes are a good idea.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard about the Lanthanum Chloride but most say it us risky not really trying to take that chance as far as the cheatogro didn’t know it had phosphate in it gonna do a water change and see where that gets me

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 63 85.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back