Photon 48” V2 - Violet channel issue

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jetor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the banks of violet colored leds on my 48” v2 are not working. All other colors are working and the other two banks are working fully. Is there a easy fix? I am dangerously handy at fixing electrical things :)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a voltage (multi-meter) put it in resistance mode. This gives out a very light voltage that will dimly illuminate working LEDs when polarity is correct. The LEDs have a small silver pad on either side, and a +/- mark to indicate polarity.

If all LEDs work- next check the traces.

That means touch + to the + side of one LED, then touch the - side to the + side of the next LED in the series to the - side of that LED, and see if voltage passes through (you'll know because the first LED will light up).

If all traces and LEDs on BOTH sides of the driver are good- then it's likely the driver. You may find that an LED is out, or corrosion has ruined a trace on the board (if you see green stuff on the LED board- it's probably been corroded).

Wiping your light down to remove salt creep and avoiding splashes generally prevents this. I opened a light in service since 2016 with no signs of salt creep inside this AM.

If LED boards look good, all LEDs work, etc.- it's most likely the driver. We have both LED boards and drivers in stock if you want to do a DIY repair.

OP
OP
J

jetor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a voltage (multi-meter) put it in resistance mode. This gives out a very light voltage that will dimly illuminate working LEDs when polarity is correct. The LEDs have a small silver pad on either side, and a +/- mark to indicate polarity.

If all LEDs work- next check the traces.

That means touch + to the + side of one LED, then touch the - side to the + side of the next LED in the series to the - side of that LED, and see if voltage passes through (you'll know because the first LED will light up).

If all traces and LEDs on BOTH sides of the driver are good- then it's likely the driver. You may find that an LED is out, or corrosion has ruined a trace on the board (if you see green stuff on the LED board- it's probably been corroded).

Wiping your light down to remove salt creep and avoiding splashes generally prevents this. I opened a light in service since 2016 with no signs of salt creep inside this AM.

If LED boards look good, all LEDs work, etc.- it's most likely the driver. We have both LED boards and drivers in stock if you want to do a DIY repair.
Excellent, I will give It a go this weekend.
I had it open to install the reef nexus upgrade chip and don’t recall seeing any corrosion. What’s a new driver or board going to set me back?

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, I will give It a go this weekend.
I had it open to install the reef nexus upgrade chip and don’t recall seeing any corrosion. What’s a new driver or board going to set me back?
Board- $50- Driver- $30. We can replace individual LEDs on undamaged boards, but a new board is typically better.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back