Photon 48 for a 60" tank?

1fishkeeper

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
322
Reaction score
173
Location
Puyallup, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that I can use a Photon 48 on a tank that is 60" X 27" X 27"? I will have it hanging in my canopy from anywhere from 12"-18". The canopy is going to be 21" tall so I should have some room to take it up. Also what would you think would be best for the optics? I was thinking 90 degs for it so it still has some power to hit the bottom and have the spread for the wider tank but with it up higher.
 
It should work OK for you. You should get 6"-10" of off the end lighting with the fixture at 8"-12" off the water. That should cover your 60" bottom. Going higher than you need to just wastes PAR by spilling light out of the tank. With 99 leds you should be OK for most corals. Some sps may need to be under the light or a bit higher in the tank.

I have two EverGrow IT2080 fixtures with custom led layouts. They are basically the same as your 48" fixture but in 32" instead. And mine are over a 72" tank full of lps & sps from sand to water surface. So I have twice as many leds and 20% more bottom space. I get PAR of 200 at the bottom with power set at roughly 70-80% blue and 40% white. So you may end up a bit higher after you get your corals acclimated. 90 degree lenses will work just fine.
 
Thanks Ron and bucksfan. I'm thinking this will work out great for my build that I'm doing on a DSA 190 gallon tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new