Photon V2 48”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Reef Breeders Photon V2 and I love it!!!! Exceptional packaging, fast shipping, excellent fixture, and gorgeous craftsmanship!! I love this light already. My tank looks awake and so awesome!!! Thank you Reef Breeders!!!!

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still running this light? If so, how do you like it after a little over a year?

I’m not the OP, but I’m happy with my 4 48s. They have great color and grow and color acros super easily.
efba415a9ed33bb37991122ccaf3f115.jpg

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot. I just bumped mine up today.
3,5,6 max out at 80%, 1and2 max out at 10%, 4 max out at 20%. Should try to bump 1 and 2 to 20% as well? Been slowly increasing my par up. Im still trying to figure out what setting is better at sps growth. Mine are alive and doing well just not alot of growth. Have you check your par? Im getting around 250-380 using seneye. Your tank is doing great.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering these for my new tank. What is the expected spread of the 48” light in terms of tank depth. I am going to be lighting a 48” x 36” x 20” tank. I’m thinking I would need 2 48s to properly light it with the 36” depth?
Also, does anyone know if the light mounts will work ok on a eurobraced tank?

Technewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need 2 if you want good coverage. I have 1 over my 750xxl and its definately not enough so i put my sps directly under the lights, using 2 t5 supplement. Im thinking of getting another v2. If you dont go sps then one is plenty. I dont use my leg mounts but i doubt they will fit a eurobrace tank.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not the OP, but I’m happy with my 4 48s. They have great color and grow and color acros super easily.

How long have you had them and what are the dimensions of that tank? I'm getting quotes on a 96x36x26 and am wondering about the coverage. I'll be doing an LPS/softies tank, so I will not have quite as high of a demand as most out there.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot. I just bumped mine up today.
3,5,6 max out at 80%, 1and2 max out at 10%, 4 max out at 20%. Should try to bump 1 and 2 to 20% as well? Been slowly increasing my par up. Im still trying to figure out what setting is better at sps growth. Mine are alive and doing well just not alot of growth. Have you check your par? Im getting around 250-380 using seneye. Your tank is doing great.
I bumped my RG higher cuz I dropped the white channel a bit. I’m not sure what par I’m at, but using Logan’s estimator, it was a lot when I ran 100% blues and 24% other channels. Once I dropped to my current levels, I’ve seen better coloration and nice growth. If I were you, I’d run the RG channel equally as the white or maybe a few points higher. I’m thinking of getting a par meter within a few weeks. I feel these lights are the best bang for your buck.
I’m considering these for my new tank. What is the expected spread of the 48” light in terms of tank depth. I am going to be lighting a 48” x 36” x 20” tank. I’m thinking I would need 2 48s to properly light it with the 36” depth?
Also, does anyone know if the light mounts will work ok on a eurobraced tank?
One unit easily covers a 24” front to back depth, hung at 12.5”, on my tank. It easily delivers “enough” light to the bottom at 36”. I say enough because I don’t have a par meter and things that deep are doing really well in my tank in terms of color, and growth for certain pieces. I ran two 48s initially end to end, and it seemed to cover enough, but I bought two more shortly after because I wanted more spread and coverage.
How long have you had them and what are the dimensions of that tank? I'm getting quotes on a 96x36x26 and am wondering about the coverage. I'll be doing an LPS/softies tank, so I will not have quite as high of a demand as most out there.
I’ve had them 4-5 months now. Best bang for the buck I feel. My tank is 96/24/24 and honestly, running two 48s end to end was plenty of light, but being 99% acros in my tank I wanted more coverage and spread. I could have gone with 50s, but I have a peninsula tank and an internal overflow, so I didn’t need the extra few inches. I think if you are for sure just softies and LPS, then two end to end would be fine.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bumped my RG higher cuz I dropped the white channel a bit. I’m not sure what par I’m at, but using Logan’s estimator, it was a lot when I ran 100% blues and 24% other channels. Once I dropped to my current levels, I’ve seen better coloration and nice growth. If I were you, I’d run the RG channel equally as the white or maybe a few points higher. I’m thinking of getting a par meter within a few weeks. I feel these lights are the best bang for your buck.

One unit easily covers a 24” front to back depth, hung at 12.5”, on my tank. It easily delivers “enough” light to the bottom at 36”. I say enough because I don’t have a par meter and things that deep are doing really well in my tank in terms of color, and growth for certain pieces. I ran two 48s initially end to end, and it seemed to cover enough, but I bought two more shortly after because I wanted more spread and coverage.

I’ve had them 4-5 months now. Best bang for the buck I feel. My tank is 96/24/24 and honestly, running two 48s end to end was plenty of light, but being 99% acros in my tank I wanted more coverage and spread. I could have gone with 50s, but I have a peninsula tank and an internal overflow, so I didn’t need the extra few inches. I think if you are for sure just softies and LPS, then two end to end would be fine.

Thanks, yeah 2 of these fixtures on a 48 x 36 x 20 tank would be a lot cheaper than the 6 Radion XR15s I would need to get similar spread/coverage. And they come with their own mounting option, unlike the radions which require an additional $200+ RMS mounting option. I know radions are the popular choice, but they really are a rip off for the hobbyist. If I could get them at whole sale price like the pros do (WWC, etc), then it would be a different story. But, I'd have to spend over twice as much on Radions to light this tank properly and mount them with legs

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, yeah 2 of these fixtures on a 48 x 36 x 20 tank would be a lot cheaper than the 6 Radion XR15s I would need to get similar spread/coverage. And they come with their own mounting option, unlike the radions which require an additional $200+ RMS mounting option. I know radions are the popular choice, but they really are a rip off for the hobbyist. If I could get them at whole sale price like the pros do (WWC, etc), then it would be a different story. But, I'd have to spend over twice as much on Radions to light this tank properly and mount them with legs

The funny thing is I just realized Ecotech’s parent company is Coral Vue, who makes Maxspect, Reef Octopus, AI, Abyzz, amongst other things. And some of the brands are Chinese made products, so I don’t know what that means for Ecotech (I’ve heard people say they’re Chinese components assembled in the US); or if they got bought out? I do have Coral Vue products (Gyre and Diablo skimmer) and I don’t have any complaints with them, but if the Radions have any Chinese made components in them then I wouldn’t see the need to spend more on them vs RB, aside from maybe spectrum and other features.

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe they are Chinese made or at least the components. That is why the price went up recently with all the US-China trade war stuff going on

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe they are Chinese made or at least the components. That is why the price went up recently with all the US-China trade war stuff going on

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue is a distributor, they do not own Echotech or any of the other brands you mentioned with the exception of possibly Maxspect.

Thanks for the correction, I thought they made a bunch of stuff though and owned quite a few brands?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 44 57.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.9%

Back