Photons V2 to Apex integration

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers! I recently bought the reefbreeder photons V2 light with the apex integration kit and attempted to install and program it last night. However, I ran into a big snag with the apex integration kit and the light for programming. I have two VDM modules and wanted to use each of the 6 light channels individually but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to calibrate the lights to each channels. I followed the link on the other post (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/apex-control-question.742011/) which Logan replied but its either I missed something or I did something wrong and I tried to follow the instruction to the T and still to no avail. Anyone has any tips or experience in hooking it up to the apex fusion? Also as far as the three ethernet port, one of the port does not have any lights calibrated to that particular port but all lights are calibrated to the other 2 ethernet ports i.e. one port has royal blue and green, second port has the remaining lights, port three has nothing and also noticed when plugging cord to third port all the lights are turned off which seems odd to me. Please help a fellow reefer out and i'm semi noob to Apex but I got it down as far as programming it to photons I just can't figure out how to calibrate it so I can program each channel using 3 ethernet ports and 3 VDM ports. Thanks in advance!

PS - I also sent email to reefbreeders last night asking for help, hopefully I hear from them soon or someone here has successfully done the apex integration and can shine some light on how to get it done.

OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 11.16.32 AM.png

This is the program I used that logan stated to do on the other post. Feel free to ask any questions that will help guide me into making it happen. As of now I install the original parts and using the WiFi remote. Don't want to feel like I wasted money on the kit along with extra ethernet cord I bought for it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea, but I'd like to know how this turns out. Been looking at the integration boards also.
It’s been a struggle, been at it for 3 hours last night and gave up since I had to be at work 3 hours later haha. It would be awesome if I can get it to work and would be much more simpler to control and adjust the light instead of using the remote.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

khmer86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers!

I am happy and excited to inform you that with the tremendous help from Logan @Reef Breeders I am now able to hook up my Photon V2 to VDM Module and control it via Apex Fusion. Below are the instructions from Logan and I have asked permission to post on R2R for anyone who may come across similar issue as mine.

To reset the green/red linking, do the following:

Unplug the light and plug it back in after 30 seconds.

Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds. Inside the ethernet port farthest from the button, you should see the indicator LEDs blink.

Press the button 1x, and the first LED indicator will blink. Wait a few seconds, then both should blink. Press the button again, and the other LED indicator should blink. Wait again for them to both blink, and the linking should be undone.

I came across issue with my blue and royal blue doing a low power flickering and below helped me resolve that. I also powered it off for 30 seconds and power back on and it went away. Below is the steps I took.

You may need to set the 0 point a little higher. Some apex units put out more erratic voltage than others.

Despite our best efforts the Apex VDM is constantly sending out very low voltage signals, even when the VDM slot is set to off. After further testing we recommend setting your zero point at the 1% or even 2% mark depending on how many lights you are running per VDM channel and how much interference your Apex is putting out.

We will be releasing a guide video soon that covers this process. I also did a write up on channel linking as well.

When I say set your zero point at 1%, I mean the following:

1: First, open your apex dashboard, and select the VDM channels controlling your light. Then setup a program for each channel like this- 2 points only, both 1% power, from 00:00 to 23:59. Save an upload these to your apex for all channels, then be sure to set those channels to AUTO.

1619809031310.png

2: After that is done, plug your light in, and let it run through the startup sequence in full (all 6 channels come on from 0% to 100% then off one by one). With the VDM hooked up to the Photon VDM Integration kit, and all VDM channels set to AUTO, press the button on the VDM integration kit to calibrate your unit.

3: Set all VDM channels to the OFF position in your apex dashboard. If the lights are fully off with no low-power flashing, then your unit is now calibrated. If there is still some residual flashing in the OFF position, repeat steps 1-3 at 2%, then 3% power.

The most we have ever had to do was 2%, with a bank of 4 lights per VDM module, 8 lights total. Since the signal is split up multiple times, tiny amounts of residual voltage from the apex VDM have a greater chance of turning the lights on at low power when they are supposed to be off. Calibrating your unit's zero point at a higher % counters this.

Once the zero point is set, you can proceed to link the red and green LEDs to other control channels. (optional).

1: Unplug all ethernet cords from your light, and position yourself where you can see inside the ethernet ports on your light.

2: Press and hold the button on your Photon-Apex VDM Integration Kit for about 3 seconds. After release, you should see all 6 indicator LEDs flash a few times.

3:

A: Press the button again to begin the linking process. The first (Red) LED should flash.

B: Press the button again to link it to CH3 (Royal Blue LEDs), once more to link to CH4 (white LEDs) and so on. When finished, wait about 5 seconds, and all LEDs will flash again to indicate the channel is paired.

C: After no input for 3-5 seconds the second (Blue indicator LED, Green channel on Photon) indicator LED should blink. Repeat step 3B to link the Green LED channel.

D: You can link both CH1 and CH2 to the same channel, link just one of them to another channel, or leave them independent. If they are independent, they will remain off unless you use a 3rd ethernet cable, and 2 additional VDM channels to control them individually.

4: To reset the channel linking, simply press and hold the button on your Photon VDM Integration Kit, and repeat step 3A, then instead of choosing a channel to link to, simply let the controller time out. Once that is complete the linking will be undone.

Upvote 0
Back