Photoperiod for LPS and soft corals

LordJoshaeus

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 23, 2018
Messages
601
Reaction score
540
What state or country do you live in
Maine
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I have tested my light over my reef jars at its current position and it is providing PAR at the high 130's at the sand bed. For LPS and soft corals, would a 12 hour photoperiod work for these jars, or should I reduce the photoperiod/dim the lights? (The lights are currently off as the tank matures but will be turned on when I add corals). Thank you!
 
IMO the par is good and those corals would do fine with a 8-10 hr photo period. I would aim for less to minimize algae growth in the small environment.

But I don’t know of anyone with more experience keeping reefs in a jar than Brandon so let’s see what he chimes in with
 
My corals have been doing nice with the WWC method. I do 12hrs with 5hrs of full spectrum followed by blues.
Yes but I imagine this is probably a 1g or less glass jar ecosystem with limited filtration and critters. Not sure if light period should be scaled back A bit. Also growth typically is a problem in pico reefs…as they lack space. So if I understand right the goal is survival and low maintenance and slower growth
 
Yes but I imagine this is probably a 1g or less glass jar ecosystem with limited filtration and critters. Not sure if light period should be scaled back A bit. Also growth typically is a problem in pico reefs…as they lack space. So if I understand right the goal is survival and low maintenance and slower growth
The main display jar is 2 gallons. I also have a 1 gallon quarantine jar.
 
I run a 1.1 pico reef. It’s not a jar but it has a tight lid
 
8-12 hours.

I find both LPS and softies are good at warning you when they are getting irritated by too much light. They begin to protect themselves by closing up, or releasing zooxanthellae (brown strands).

Being in a jar shouldn't change much, the coral will tell you if it's too much or too little.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new