Phyto culture and temp

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the process of setting up a phyto culture station. The only space available to me is in my garage which gets down to low single figures in winter. What is the lowest temp phyto can handle? I have spare 25w heaters I could add to each gallon container?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species, but single digits is way too low. Phyto will survive low temps but it will stop growing.

Nannochloropsis will keep growing down to 60F I believe but most others I wouldn't go much less than ~68F

You could use heaters

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species, but single digits is way too low. Phyto will survive low temps but it will stop growing.

Nannochloropsis will keep growing down to 60F I believe but most others I wouldn't go much less than ~68F

You could use heaters
Sorry should have mentioned single Celsius digits so around 45 F.

I'll have to rethink the plan

OP
OP
LgTas

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they grow in single digit degrees Celsius, at least nannochloropsis does, just slower.

When would one consider the colony ready to harvest?
20210522_132507.jpg

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they grow in single digit degrees Celsius, at least nannochloropsis does, just slower.

When would one consider the colony ready to harvest?
20210522_132507.jpg
Good question. Normally at room temp harvest after 1 week. Maybe at lower temp you could harvest after 2 weeks?

You'll probably have to experiment. Estimating culture density is hard to do by pic, depends alot on lighting and container. My cultures look much denser in colored buckets than white or clear ones but it's just an illusion. You could make a sort of secci stick draw a black circle on a white spatula or cooking spoon and dip into culture. When the circle is no longer visible check how deep it went. You want this to happen about 10cm or less.

Or you can also buy a calibrated secci stick they are cheap. Algae research supply or florida aqua farms sell them. Maybe ebay

Back