Phyto Culture Question

Jobu183

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello- I started culturing my own phyto plankton (Nanno). I started these two cultures one day apart. At this point (day 5 for the one on the left, day 4 for the one on the right), they do have pretty different colors. I assume the one on the left is thriving, where the one on the right isn't doing as well. Just wondering if anyone has advice on how to correct the one on the right.

As it's my first time, I tried a different approach on both. Started with 1.025sg, but used slightly more fertilizer / less phyto on the left one, and slightly less fertilizer / more phyto on the right. I added another dose of fertilizer yesterday to try and resolve it, but it didn't have any significant change.

P.S. The pictures don't do the color difference justice, the one on the right is significantly less green / more yellow than the one on the left.

image0 (1).jpeg

jerrod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but have noticed that phyto can be very temperamental. I wouldn't worry about it yet as they have been going for less than a week. If you notice that it starts to settle at the bottom and starting to lose its color than the batch could be crashing. If it holds the color and doesn't start to separate it is still viable. The color change could be from what you said, one is denser than the other and reproducing at a different rate. As long as the culture doesn't crash it should end up looking the same after awhile. I usually run 2 cultures that I rotate drawing from weekly so mine are never the same looking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back