Phyto Culture Start-Up Tips???

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a tigger pod culture for quite a while now. My problem is that dosing phytoplankton is starting to add up in cost. I want to see how I could start up a nannochloropsis culture. I have a bottle of it in my fridge from @hollback. I have a light and a pump and I have plenty of large jars around the house. Main things I want to know is specific gravity, what I need to add to the nano culture to keep it going, whether it needs more than light to grow, harvesting, and any other pointers.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use 1.020 as the specific gravity for nanno, but its pretty flexible it can be done at lower SG up to 1.026. 16-18 hours of light per day, moderate light, not too strong. And an airline, thats it. And of course F2. I use 2 litre pop bottles. Its pretty easy, takes about 4-6 days to harvest (in my case)

Upvote 0

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I basically do the exact same as the above. Only difference is I run my lights for 24hrs. I also use muriatic acid to clean my 2ltrs and tubing between ending and starting a new culture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiloHunter

DiloHunter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use 1.020 as the specific gravity for nanno, but its pretty flexible it can be done at lower SG up to 1.026. 16-18 hours of light per day, moderate light, not too strong. And an airline, thats it. And of course F2. I use 2 litre pop bottles. Its pretty easy, takes about 4-6 days to harvest (in my case)
I basically do the exact same as the above. Only difference is I run my lights for 24hrs. I also use muriatic acid to clean my 2ltrs and tubing between ending and starting a new culture.
Hardest part is keeping rotifers and other nasty contams out... cleanliness will make or break your culture.
Thank you for the tips.

Upvote 0

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the poseiden reef jars because I can use their plastic bag inserts and keep the jars much cleaner and more sterile!

Upvote 0

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sanitation is absolutely key. Sanitize your vessels with rubbing alcohol; don't just rely on detergents or acids. High aeration is important to keep the phyto in suspension. A 24 hour photoperiod is fine, as is 18/6.

Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back