phyto dosing questions

chriss1992

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a couple days out from my first home culture being ready but was curious if theres a minimum time I need to wait when adding to my display? My main concern was the F2 fertilizer and if its safe to go into the display right away or it it has to be "eaten" by the phyto before going into the tank

second question is dosing amount and frequency is ther any good reccomendation on how much to go with?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually can't answer your first question, something I need to read more about I admit.
But if you don't know the cell density of your culture, feeding nightly/daily so the water is tinged a but green will work

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the time the culture is dark green and ready to go into the tank the fertilizer used to start growing is all used up. Safe to dump into the tank. I started dosing about a fourth of a 1 L bottle and gradually increased to half a bottle daily as I carefully watched my tank for any adverse reactions.

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the culture is nanochloropsis, a lush medium green indicates that the culture may be harvested and fed to the tank. My culture is ready within 4-6 days. Then again the culture receives light 24/7. What little F/2 may remain in the culture will be happily consumed by my red mangroves in the sump, or some other hungry macro algae.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back