Phytoplankto for tank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used continuum aquatics phyto-blast? Is it a live phytoplankton and can it be used to start a culture? I don't have live phytos easily available in my country. Also can I you guys suggest some diy for fertliser (like f2) for phyto culture. Thanks.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used continuum aquatics phyto-blast? Is it a live phytoplankton and can it be used to start a culture? I don't have live phytos easily available in my country. Also can I you guys suggest some diy for fertliser (like f2) for phyto culture. Thanks.

Hi. I do culture live phyto. I get my various species on petri dishes. I like this a whole lot better than the liquid. They store in a frig for months. You can also start several cultures from one disk. The best part is the cost per Petri dish is 8-12$. This place also has f/2 grow medium for only 15.00. Go to Florida Aquafarms’ website and check out ALL that they have. Huge aquaculture supply house. The only problem I have had is that they’ve been out of isochyrsis for a very long time.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I do culture live phyto. I get my various species on petri dishes. I like this a whole lot better than the liquid. They store in a frig for months. You can also start several cultures from one disk. The best part is the cost per Petri dish is 8-12$. This place also has f/2 grow medium for only 15.00. Go to Florida Aquafarms’ website and check out ALL that they have. Huge aquaculture supply house. The only problem I have had is that they’ve been out of isochyrsis for a very long time.

From India brother. Aquafarms doesn’t ship here. Any experience with continuum aquatics?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not at all. I did just order some Isochrysis from a place called Suncoast Aquaculture. They’re in Fla. where this place that you’re talking about?

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no experience with product but my question to you is why you want to dose phyto?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no experience with product but my question to you is why you want to dose phyto?

So phyto is good for all your tanks filter feeders and is inexpensive live food. It will literally make your corals pop, increase your amphipod and copepod population and compete with pest algae for nutrient uptake.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do not consume phytoplankton directly. For filter feeders yes I can understand that.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals do not consume phytoplankton directly. For filter feeders yes I can understand that.

So phytoplankton is consumed by a number of organisms in your display tank. Much of these organisms eat the phyto, and in turn are eaten by the corals. Phyto has a bunch of fatty acids, carotenoids and other nutrients that are vitally important corals. If they get get well nourished zooplankton to eat, they’ll be extremely colorful.
Another example are clams. They are very much dependent on certain strains for survival, so it must be added.

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a debate that's been around for a while and for most they don't see any difference but good luck.
In my experience I have a 6" derasa and 3" maxima. Never dosed ever in my tank. I have a billion pods as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a gorgonian while It’s doing fine rn. I want to add a few more of these.
So I did some research and asked my lfs guy also they say that planktonic diet specially phyto and zooplankton is good for majority of corals and gorgonians in particular. I don’t want to fowl my tank with tons of food, it’s a NPS.
Plus I don’t want to keep on spending money and trying hit and trial method with different foods. Have a goniopora too, the guy isn’t doing very fine. Tried a lot of food.
So finally I’ve decided to culture phytos and brine, just natural diet for fish and corals both.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uh....whaaa? Of course I know where India is...DUDE. I was asking about where you ordered from, get it?

It’s on amazon bro. And since I said, live phytos, Copepods amphipods and all are just not available here, on any lfs.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on amazon bro. And since I said, live phytos, Copepods amphipods and all are just not available here, on any lfs.

Why is that? Because of shipping? If you can get stuff shipped from continuum aquatics (I still don’t know location of this place), then I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to get shipments from Florida Aquafarms. The algae discs (Petri dishes) don’t need to be refrigerated and neither does the f/2. Why do t u email and ask? Is it because they won’t ship or is it because against import laws in India? I’m surprised that you guys in India don’t have more. Don’t you have rich oceans waters in parts of India?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are filter feeders and can consume phytoplankton. They ones with zooxanthellae algaes might not need phytoplankton to survive, but still might eat it.

We've a tank with low-medium light intensity and lots of feeding with phytoplankton, both live and concentrated. I think those stony corals we have in that tank looks really healthy.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So phytoplankton is consumed by a number of organisms in your display tank. Much of these organisms eat the phyto, and in turn are eaten by the corals. Phyto has a bunch of fatty acids, carotenoids and other nutrients that are vitally important corals. If they get get well nourished zooplankton to eat, they’ll be extremely colorful.
Another example are clams. They are very much dependent on certain strains for survival, so it must be added.

+1 that’s what I’ve researched too and feel the same. True people might say that corals need zooxanthellae, and all. But IME of keeping corals I’ve seen that feeding just accelerates their growth by a lot.
My hammer and Rhodactis has grown really fast, while some might say that these are fast growers anyway. But I’ve a pineapple brain that has become a mini boulder since I got it.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a debate that's been around for a while and for most they don't see any difference but good luck.
In my experience I have a 6" derasa and 3" maxima. Never dosed ever in my tank. I have a billion pods as well.

If you have never coded anything in your tank sir pls don’t call it a tank it’s an ocean in itself.
IMO your tank is very well established ecosystem which already has a number of planktonic and other fauna. Your tank might be quite old. Mine is fairly new up and running 6 months only. Also I don’t have many fishes yet only 2.

Back