OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? Because of shipping? If you can get stuff shipped from continuum aquatics (I still don’t know location of this place), then I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to get shipments from Florida Aquafarms. The algae discs (Petri dishes) don’t need to be refrigerated and neither does the f/2. Why do t u email and ask? Is it because they won’t ship or is it because against import laws in India? I’m surprised that you guys in India don’t have more. Don’t you have rich oceans waters in parts of India?

I was buying from continuum aquatics because amazon India is selling it.
Actually I can’t get shipment from US companies directly for two main reasons.

1. Phytoplankton and other planktonic organisms like amohipods and copepods are ban in India. Actually to say marine hobby is banned in India, corals and fishes. Only some fishes are allowed like clowns and wrasses and some more which are aquacultured and mentioned on government site and there’s total ban on corals.
But still the business and hobby thrives the lfs guys find some or the other way to get corals and fishes in the country. As for me if I ship it from US, the consignment will be easily caught at the airport and I can be tried for it as well.

2. The over all cost of procuring anything from US based companies directly is too dang expensive. For these little things which cost somewhat 500-700 rupees(10$) I end up paying almost same amount in shipping cost which doubles the cost.
While I tried purchasing tank lights directly I came to know of all this. USPS is cheap but takes years to deliver, and without tracking. FedEx and DHL are very expensive so there’s no equilibrium in product satisfaction vs product price.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that? Because of shipping? If you can get stuff shipped from continuum aquatics (I still don’t know location of this place), then I’m not sure why you wouldn’t be able to get shipments from Florida Aquafarms. The algae discs (Petri dishes) don’t need to be refrigerated and neither does the f/2. Why do t u email and ask? Is it because they won’t ship or is it because against import laws in India? I’m surprised that you guys in India don’t have more. Don’t you have rich oceans waters in parts of India?

Yeah man we’ve pretty rich ocean over here. More than 90% of the trade goes from Indonesia to the world, and it’s just neighbouring to Indian islands(Andaman and Nicobar) but the coral hobby and marine hobby is total ban in India. Hence no marine companies have presence here because of lack of market. We’ve only few companies here that cater to marine hobby, rest all are mostly fresh water market products mainly.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing you even have a tank. Got a picture of it?

Yeah here’s the photo. Its a 180 gallon mixed reef.
aa7e608107e039bc247a155c26ca0086.jpg

Its not surprising to have a tank. The hobby is very much a widespread here too. I’ve seen lfs getting out of stock completely within just 1-2 days of receiving shipment. Mostly people book from preorder list and videos. And since I’m in northern India its landlocked so the availability is lesser than the coastal region. Just what’s lacking here is some nice imported coral stocks from Australia, rest livestock specially fishes are all in abundance. Lol many times the lfs wont even say they sell corals unless they trust that you’re a legit buyer. But the hobby is not even comparable to what its in western world or maybe east Asia. Like you guys have a plethora of options tank maintenance and other foods and all. The absence of marine product companies is a downside though.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a substitute to f/2 fertiliser a DIY types for phyto culture?

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its not surprising to have a tank. The hobby is very much a widespread here too. I’ve seen lfs getting out of stock completely within just 1-2 days of receiving shipment. Mostly people book from preorder list and videos. And since I’m in northern India its landlocked so the availability is lesser than the coastal region. Just what’s lacking here is some nice imported coral stocks from Australia, rest livestock specially fishes are all in abundance. Lol many times the lfs wont even say they sell corals unless they trust that you’re a legit buyer. But the hobby is not even comparable to what its in western world or maybe east Asia. Like you guys have a plethora of options tank maintenance and other foods and all. The absence of marine product companies is a downside though.

Nice

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was buying from continuum aquatics because amazon India is selling it.
Actually I can’t get shipment from US companies directly for two main reasons.

1. Phytoplankton and other planktonic organisms like amohipods and copepods are ban in India. Actually to say marine hobby is banned in India, corals and fishes. Only some fishes are allowed like clowns and wrasses and some more which are aquacultured and mentioned on government site and there’s total ban on corals.
But still the business and hobby thrives the lfs guys find some or the other way to get corals and fishes in the country. As for me if I ship it from US, the consignment will be easily caught at the airport and I can be tried for it as well.

2. The over all cost of procuring anything from US based companies directly is too dang expensive. For these little things which cost somewhat 500-700 rupees(10$) I end up paying almost same amount in shipping cost which doubles the cost.
While I tried purchasing tank lights directly I came to know of all this. USPS is cheap but takes years to deliver, and without tracking. FedEx and DHL are very expensive so there’s no equilibrium in product satisfaction vs product price.

Ok, well that’s what I thought. Many countries in the world are like that. There are laws like that in the US as well.
You’re right! I’m not sure why someone hasn’t tried to isolate and Culture any local planktonic organisms for the reef hobby, that WOULD be legal. Why don’t you do it?! You could make a fortune if u could figure out a way. Have you tried calling a local university that has Aquaculture department? Certain species of Copepods and phytoplankton are also freshwater animals as well, I would be surprised if you could t find it anywhere. These things are used on farms where they raise fish and shellfish for food purposes. What about checking into that area? Where there is a will, there is a way. I will be interested to know how this turns out. You could be a millionaire! Hahaha

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where does the LFS get their stock from? A lot of these same fish distributors will raise copepods fro breeding depending on where they order from. If they’re wild caught, it might be a prob. Worth checking into. What do the LFS owners say when u ask?

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the LFS get their stock from? A lot of these same fish distributors will raise copepods fro breeding depending on where they order from. If they’re wild caught, it might be a prob. Worth checking into. What do the LFS owners say when u ask?

So there are two types of stock that we receive. The Indian stock(which is relatively cheaper) and the imported stock.
The Indian stock is from aquacultured fish farms in South India and other wild caught fishes from gulf of Mannar.
The imported stock is mainly from Indonesia.

I asked them for phyto and copepods and they clearly say no they can’t arrange. Maybe because there’s not much demand for it so ordering just one or two bottles might not be economical to him IMO.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there are two types of stock that we receive. The Indian stock(which is relatively cheaper) and the imported stock.
The Indian stock is from aquacultured fish farms in South India and other wild caught fishes from gulf of Mannar.
The imported stock is mainly from Indonesia.

I asked them for phyto and copepods and they clearly say no they can’t arrange. Maybe because there’s not much demand for it so ordering just one or two bottles might not be economical to him IMO.

That’s really sucks. I wish I could send you few 2-liter bottles of tisbe tigger and apex pods. I have a ton that I use for breeding and raising fish. I also have some cool fish too! That’s too bad...

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you live near the sea? You could buy a Plankton collection net and a set of aquaculture sieves and you can harvest your own starter culture. It’s not ideal , but it’s the only way I can see.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, well that’s what I thought. Many countries in the world are like that. There are laws like that in the US as well.
You’re right! I’m not sure why someone hasn’t tried to isolate and Culture any local planktonic organisms for the reef hobby, that WOULD be legal. Why don’t you do it?! You could make a fortune if u could figure out a way. Have you tried calling a local university that has Aquaculture department? Certain species of Copepods and phytoplankton are also freshwater animals as well, I would be surprised if you could t find it anywhere. These things are used on farms where they raise fish and shellfish for food purposes. What about checking into that area? Where there is a will, there is a way. I will be interested to know how this turns out. You could be a millionaire! Hahaha

Hahaha Millionaire! Bro I’ll be in jail, the licensing is strict and I still go on aqua-culturing them and advertising for sales I’ll definitely be in a cell.
Yes i thought about this having a live phyto and copepods hatchery and can sell it to lfs for free stock maybe[emoji51]. That’s enough for me I guess. It’s all a hidden market, I don’t know apart from my lfs a single guy(hobbyist) who owns a marine tank in my city. I know there are a lot of these guys, as the stock runs out pretty quick but it’s all like dark web imo[emoji23]

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really sucks. I wish I could send you few 2-liter bottles of tisbe tigger and apex pods. I have a ton that I use for breeding and raising fish. I also have some cool fish too! That’s too bad...

I wish I had someone empathetic like you here.

Do you live near the sea? You could buy a Plankton collection net and a set of aquaculture sieves and you can harvest your own starter culture. It’s not ideal , but it’s the only way I can see.

no bro I don't. I live in New Delhi(the capital) its landlocked.

Last edited:

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pdisner any idea about this? homemade substitute for phyto feeding

I do have the formula, if that’s what you want. But you do realize that you’ll have to find a source to culture from. F/2 is basically Miracle Grow but with ingredients that aren’t toxic or create toxic by products. Yes, I can send you the recipe. Or I can post here if others are interested.
I have a ton of info on any strain and there’s some really nice links I can send depending on what your goals are specifically and what strains you grow.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to grow freshwater chlorella. I’ve read how you can get source cultures from nearby ponds or lakes. That’s an option, but I’ve never done that. About 30-40% of copepod species are freshwater as well as rotifers and can be fed with Nannochloris (different than Nannochloropsis) and chlorella.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have the formula, if that’s what you want. But you do realize that you’ll have to find a source to culture from. F/2 is basically Miracle Grow but with ingredients that aren’t toxic or create toxic by products. Yes, I can send you the recipe. Or I can post here if others are interested.
I have a ton of info on any strain and there’s some really nice links I can send depending on what your goals are specifically and what strains you grow.

Yes please if you’ll help with the formula it’ll be a great help. As I’ve mentioned I want to cultivate a phyto population.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are ways to grow freshwater chlorella. I’ve read how you can get source cultures from nearby ponds or lakes. That’s an option, but I’ve never done that. About 30-40% of copepod species are freshwater as well as rotifers and can be fed with Nannochloris (different than Nannochloropsis) and chlorella.

Never heard of this. Only of nannocloropsis. You mean that I can cultivate a fresh water phyto and it’ll be a good food as well for corals. Is it?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back