Phytoplankton against cyano?

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I have started to notice some cyano around my tank since a few days back. Its not a major outbreak but if left untreated it might be soon. I have a few diffrent strains of Phyto at home right now, and accordning to my supplier using the strain Synechococcus at a dose of 100ml to 100 liters of water volume, and then adding 10ml to 100 liter volume about three times a week til the cyano is gone will work at removing it.
My question is, does anyone have experience using Phyto against cyano and is it worth a try or should I just add some red slime remover and get it done? :)
Thanks for any advice!

Hecticdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemiclean about 2 weeks ago and it knocked out 75% of my cyano. Doing weekly water changes, lowered nutrients and increased water flow. Down to about 5% and its fading fast.
It makes your skimmer go nuts for a bit but after recommended water change it was good.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
accordning to my supplier using the strain Synechococcus at a dose of 100ml to 100 liters of water volume, and then adding 10ml to 100 liter volume about three times a week til the cyano is gone will work at removing it.

That's funny. Synechococcus is a planktonic cyanobacteria. So maybe it's a good competitor for the same goodies as the cyano mat?
I suppose it's possible, if the phyto cyanobacteria cells are well exported by skimming.

OP
OP
Chrille26

Chrille26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny. Synechococcus is a planktonic cyanobacteria. So maybe it's a good competitor for the same goodies as the cyano mat?
I suppose it's possible, if the phyto cyanobacteria cells are well exported by skimming.

Yeah I noticed that when I did a quick google search on it also! I decided to give it a try because why not, and if it doesnt then ill buy some Chemiclean or red slime remover.
Did a 15% waterchange and siphoned as much cyano I could see then dosed a decent amount of phyto in a high flow area of the dt. Hopefully the cyano stays away. :)

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would love to know if it worked also!

I can tell you that I dumped half a gallon of pods in a cyano infested tank and it cleared up in two months. I've heard the same from a few customers too, so I don't think it's coincidence.

So if the phyto didn't work, you might try some pods!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a heads up, the regular chemiclean doesn't actually bind phosphates according to Randy so if you're trying to lower nutrient levels that may now be the way to go...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back