Phytoplankton and f2

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was wanting to start culturing my own phytoplankton, and wanted to ask the people here who culture their own a few questions.
where did you get your phyto, what species is it, and what brand of f2 do you use?
Thanks!

jmwreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my starter culture (nanno) and F/2 from Mercer of Montana (ordered through Amazon) about a year ago. It's been very easy to keep the culture of phyto going. I'm sure others will chime in with alternate sources.

Zarabyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Zooplankton and Seachem Reef Phytoplankton and I breed them in my main tank as I have only coral and nothing els in there these 2 products have the eggs inside.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used Mercer of Montana. I got one of their kits for the jar it comes with but it’s super easy to make your own. Any container with a whole drilled in the top for an airline and another hole for gas exchange is all you need. I culture nano and tetra. Nano helps control nitrates better but tetra is better food. I usually keep enough extra for my next culture and just mix the rest up 50/50 to dose into my tank. I have a 50 gal tank and usually dose 10 to 15 mls a day.

as long as you keep it in the fridge and make sure to give it a shake every couple of days it’ll be good for months.
8E9DB164-FB78-419D-93F2-2991689EDD74.jpeg

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my starter culture (nanno) and F/2 from Mercer of Montana (ordered through Amazon) about a year ago. It's been very easy to keep the culture of phyto going. I'm sure others will chime in with alternate sources.
This is what I have been using for the better part of a year, I bought a kit two bottles of phyto and 1 bottle of fertilizer. I have been splitting cultures for months.

OP
OP
SaltySam09

SaltySam09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I have been using for the better part of a year, I bought a kit two bottles of phyto and 1 bottle of fertilizer. I have been splitting cultures for months.
Thanks for the reply, I Think with all the messages I got I'll go with Mercer of Montana. they seem like a reliable source.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back