Phytoplankton Culture- Is this ok?

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attempting to culture some phyto from a bottle of live stuff that I had (was a mix of Nano and Tetra). Not sure if the colour, or the stuff on the glass in the 3rd pic is ok. I think it's Nano and ok, but (lol) I have trouble with my greens and would appreciate a second set of eyes.

This is day 4 of the second culture using a 1:3 ratio of phyto:medium.
Used Tropica Specialized Nutrition fertilizer 2ml/1800ml.
Smells faintly like ocean greens.

phyto1.jpg
Phyto 2.jpg
phyto 3.jpg

This is what it looks like at 400x magnification:
phyto 400x.jpg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell in the pictures, it looks good to me. I grow phyto in gallon bottles. When it is dark, and I can no longer see the tube for the bubbler, I split the bottle, then add 1/2 gallon of salt water back in. I dose 1ml of F2 a week per gallon.

OP
OP
D

dubmaneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can tell in the pictures, it looks good to me. I grow phyto in gallon bottles. When it is dark, and I can no longer see the tube for the bubbler, I split the bottle, then add 1/2 gallon of salt water back in. I dose 1ml of F2 a week per gallon.
Thanks. So do you think this is ready to split? I read to wait 5 days after adding fertilizer but with the amount of light I have on, it may just need to be split sooner?

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. So do you think this is ready to split? I read to wait 5 days after adding fertilizer but with the amount of light I have on, it may just need to be split sooner?
It is hard to tell in pictures. Based on the color, I think you are OK to split. I have never had an issue splitting too early or leaving it in the jar too long. As long as I have air bubbling in it, along with light, and fertilize it, it always works for me.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your culture looks healthy and the cells on the slide look line nanno. Tetra will be about 4x larger and motile. Best of luck!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back