Phytoplankton Life In Reef Tank

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was looking for some information on live phytoplankton in a reef tank system. Specifically what it's doing once it's added. Is it reproducing? Does it just get sucked up into my skimmer? How to tell if you're dosing enough (have a sufficient enough population at any one time)? Basically the science behind it.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d honestly like to know too… I’ve always dosed it every couple days in my tank for years, but honestly, I’ve been doing so not really with a full understanding of what it’s doing.

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d honestly like to know too… I’ve always dosed it every couple days in my tank for years, but honestly, I’ve been doing so not really with a full understanding of what it’s doing.
Exactly. Like how does it compare to what it's doing in the tank as opposed to what it would be doing if it were in the ocean.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It gets eaten or filtered out. Protein skimmers sterilize water, hence one reason I don't like using them if you dose things like phytoplankton (or that one should run them on a timer).

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously the size of the skimmer plays a factor but I wonder how long they're in the tank before they actually get skimmed out

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a "scientific" reference and would love to hear one. All I got is anecdotal.

I dose 6 liters a day live phyto to a 100 gallon display. At first this would turn the water green for abit, but now it's all gone (visibly) in less than an hour. I have a skimmer but turned it off while dosing phyto and this doesn't make any difference.

I think phyto doesn't live long in a reef tank. It's the bottom of the food pyramid, and so many things will eat it. In a closed glass box, phyto predators seemingly reproduce very, very fast.

At least, that's my theory.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike the ocean it's very difficult to get phytoplankton to reproduce in our closed loop tank systems from the info I've read on the internet hence the reason we must dose it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike the ocean it's very difficult to get phytoplankton to reproduce in our closed loop tank systems from the info I've read on the internet hence the reason we must dose it.

I always laugh when I see phyto blooms in a tank because all of the zooplankton must have thought they died and went to paradise haha

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always laugh when I see phyto blooms in a tank because all of the zooplankton must have thought they died and went to paradise haha
How do you know they are phyto blooms?

Internet source

phytoplankton are an abundant food source for many bivalves, soft corals, sponges, and zooplankton (such as copepods). In-home marine aquariums, however, phytoplankton generally don't make an appearance. Without the natural supply from the ocean, you don't see these microscopic plants.

Then there is this which contradicts

Zooplankton and phytoplankton can live in the refugium without being over harvested by the fish, corals, and other invertebrates found in the display tank. On a regular basis, some of that plankton will be washed through the display tank and contribute food.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you know they are phyto blooms?

Internet source

phytoplankton are an abundant food source for many bivalves, soft corals, sponges, and zooplankton (such as copepods). In-home marine aquariums, however, phytoplankton generally don't make an appearance. Without the natural supply from the ocean, you don't see these microscopic plants.

Then there is this which contradicts

Zooplankton and phytoplankton can live in the refugium without being over harvested by the fish, corals, and other invertebrates found in the display tank. On a regular basis, some of that plankton will be washed through the display tank and contribute food.
Oh they are definitely rare
, but they are free floating green algae in those tanks and definitely phyto. It's fascinating when it happens

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh they are definitely rare
, but they are free floating green algae in those tanks and definitely phyto. It's fascinating when it happens
Seems like the primary reasons phytoplankton don't reproduce and populate reef tanks is due to skimmers, chemical media, filters, etc... from what I've read. There are those rare reef tanks that only use a large refugium separate tank for their filtration purposes and I could see where conditions might allow phytoplankton to flourish there.

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the primary reasons phytoplankton don't reproduce and populate reef tanks is due to skimmers, chemical media, filters, etc... from what I've read. There are those rare reef tanks that only use a large refugium separate tank for their filtration purposes and I could see where conditions might allow phytoplankton to flourish there.
Yes but by this logic if you had a system void of all mechanical and chemical filtration wouldn't they be able to reproduce? Why is it we can get them to reproduce in a jar but not in the tank? Is predation that big of a factor?

South Carolina reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to wonder what the benefits are. I will share I've been dosing Tommy's phytoplankton for about a month or so. I read it seems to help with cyano as I was / am having a bit of an issue with this. Now I can't say 100% this helps but I will say it has noticeably reduced it I mean a lot. I also know my phosphate and nitrate numbers are way down. Especially phosphate. Granted I'm sure my uv sterilizer will "kill" the phytoplankton. I do pay close attention to my animals as I work from home so I'm able to monitor things closely. I also believe it can't really hurt as it is a part of a natural balance in the ecosystem. Just my opinion

demonclownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a UV-sterilizer mentions it solves "green-water" it is saying it kills phytoplankton and other waterborne photosynthetic organisms. A protein skimmer is alot less efficient at removing these from the water column.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but by this logic if you had a system void of all mechanical and chemical filtration wouldn't they be able to reproduce? Why is it we can get them to reproduce in a jar but not in the tank? Is predation that big of a factor?
Maybe there are to many predator organisms in the tank so the phytoplankton can't sustain itself. Like putting multiple mandarins in a tank and wondering why your pod population is always depleted and unable to reproduce?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Predation and competition is likely a huge factor, hence why sterilization is so important when culturing phyto. As a base of the ocean food chain, there are massive amounts of creatures that consume them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back