Pi Zero v1.3 - Failing Ethernet Connection on Boot

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

as explained in my build Thread, I have a Problem with my Pi Zero v1.3 Ethernet connection.

On the first time I booted the Pi, with the Ethernet connected to an Adafruit Ethernet + USB Hub, it doesn't show up on the ethernet. Same when I reboot the PI with the Reef-Pi Interface. The only method I have been able to make it work with is: boot the Pi without Ethernet cable connected. I have a fallback IP configured (source) by manually creating a file at:

etc/dhcpcd.conf
Code:
profile static_eth0
static ip_address=192.168.0.254/24
static routers=192.168.0.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1
fallback to static profile on eth0

interface eth0
fallback static_eth0

Not sure if he actually uses that, since I had to create the folder etc myself.
After the Pi booted (I wait at least a minute) I connect the Ethernet cable and the PI shows up at a DHCP configured address.

Any ideas how to fix this issue, so I don't have to do that every time I reboot ?
Is it possible to delay Ethernet-operation similar to delaying general boot like in this thread ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion from a colleague:
  • Phone chargers are not build to be terribly stable, because the phone charging circuits don't care if the voltage drops for a few milli seconds, they just stop charging for that time.
  • The Pi however does care very much about a stable voltage, so it might be that the supply gets unstable on startup and the Pi freezes when I connect Ethernet at the same time.
I will therefore build my actual power supply with two 5V 3A rails, one of which will be dedicated mostly to the PI and see if that helps alleviate the problem.

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestion from a colleague:
  • Phone chargers are not build to be terribly stable, because the phone charging circuits don't care if the voltage drops for a few milli seconds, they just stop charging for that time.
  • The Pi however does care very much about a stable voltage, so it might be that the supply gets unstable on startup and the Pi freezes when I connect Ethernet at the same time.
I will therefore build my actual power supply with two 5V 3A rails, one of which will be dedicated mostly to the PI and see if that helps alleviate the problem.
Power supply could cause issues, a few times I've seen a weak power supply randomly cause the Pi to reboot even though the Pi itself doesn't draw much current. Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
S

Sral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply was the issue. I switched from the 5V 1.0A Phone charger to the 5V 2.5V phone charger. Now I can reboot the Pi from the reef-PI interface and the Pi shows up on the network immediately.

Problem solved, now I just need to build the final power supply and reef-Pi unit :grinning-face-with-sweat:

robsworld78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The power supply was the issue. I switched from the 5V 1.0A Phone charger to the 5V 2.5V phone charger. Now I can reboot the Pi from the reef-PI interface and the Pi shows up on the network immediately.

Problem solved, now I just need to build the final power supply and reef-Pi unit :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Great, good to hear.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back