Pic confirmation of false API ammonia readings

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks
I purchased Salifert tests (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) and did a comparison between Salifert and API. Only a slight difference with nitrate and nitrate, but a pretty big difference with ammonia. Salifert shows 0 while API shows around .50ppm!
20210213_181730.jpg

Everyone speaks highly of Salifert and not so good of API. Now I know why.. Surely, API knows of this issue. I wonder why they haven't fixed it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Team thank you for the heads up

may we pls have a tank shot pic this came from then it’s perfect post for a readings comparison thread we have running

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi folks
I purchased Salifert tests (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite) and did a comparison between Salifert and API. Only a slight difference with nitrate and nitrate, but a pretty big difference with ammonia. Salifert shows 0 while API shows around .50ppm!
20210213_181730.jpg

Everyone speaks highly of Salifert and not so good of API. Now I know why.. Surely, API knows of this issue. I wonder why they haven't fixed it.
Imagine that and no surprise. API tests have gotten so many reefers in trouble. Ever wonder how a master kit can be only $20 ??

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks
20210213_181730.jpg

We’ve experienced the same discrepancy with the ammonia (Red Sea test and Seachem ammonia badge vs API). Did you ever find any discrepancies with nitrites though?

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks
20210213_181730.jpg

This situation is not the typical ambiguity of zero vs 0.25 ppm. This test result looks like a solid positive for ammonia. Where are you in the “cycling” process?

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve experienced the same discrepancy with the ammonia (Red Sea test and Seachem ammonia badge vs API). Did you ever find any discrepancies with nitrites though?
There was a little discrepancy with nitrates and nitrates, but not much. Ill have to run the comparison again to get the exact numbers

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This situation is not the typical ambiguity of zero vs 0.25 ppm. This test result looks like a solid positive for ammonia. Where are you in the “cycling” process?
Its been up and running for approximately 4 months. With 6 fish

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan I agree it’s atypically distinct. Not common but not rare possibly

this 100% accounts for false flag ammonia alert posts in every way shape and form. If even a small % of api kits do this on a running reef, madness happens in super long ammonia tracing posts where all forms of visual proof to the contrary are instantly discounted.

has this tank been dosed with prime, or amquel anywhere in the water prep

OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's another comparison with another, newer tank (a little less than a month since cycled)
20210213_201820.jpg
20210213_201625.jpg
this one was dosed with Prime last night as the high reading of the API test (before getting the Salifert today) caused me to put some in. I didn't take a pic of the API test last night, but I do not remember it being THAT dark green.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do see some yellow readings though, this thread is the collection post and most are panning out working so far

even if this is test error in some way, just a few are needed to really cause cycling doubt for many. * it’s not always api, we had a seneye stuck in the hundredths last week and before that a Red Sea was over reporting daily running in a 1.5 year sps reef, not restricted to api but I think api carries the greatest weight of misreads due to number of kits sold, its #1

most of the ones listed there are good yellows on post cycle tanks. I predict not all will be, as we get out a few pages.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the API test of straight RODI water (no salt). Test is 0 for ammonia. Doesn't this say that the positive API reading from the tanks mean something is causing it?

Attachments

• 20210213_204345.jpg
    20210213_204345.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 48

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess the pH difference is causing the dye color issue, but I make my claim for free and you don't have to buy a kit to get my own best guess.

chicken nugget wtf GIF by Justin Gammon

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the API test of straight RODI water (no salt). Test is 0 for ammonia. Doesn't this say that the positive API reading from the tanks mean something is causing it?
Not sure the kit is capable of reading in a zero salinity solution.
Something I remember reading a way back. I could be wrong.
Can someone confirm the API kit can read NH3 in RO water?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back