Picasso Clownfish, What To Look For?

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided I would like to add Picasso Clowns to my new system :love:

I am actually planning a trip to one of my LFS tomorrow because they are having a 1-day only special on them, and if I like what I see I am hoping to come home with at least two!

What should I look for beyond the normal signs of a healthy specimen?

I assume the different "grades" are based on the overall striping/patterns and color, and I should just choose the patterns/color I like the looks of best?

How many should I get (assuming they look nice)... I would someday like to get all setup for breeding and raising fry so I need to eventually end up with a bonded pair. If they are young juveniles should I just get 2 and hope they bond as male/female? Should I buy 3 or 4 now and remove the other(s) once a pair has bonded?

Thanks in advance - Dave

CoralHut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grades on clownfish are highly subjective but most try to look for consistent pattern with unusual barring, such as a stripe down the dorsal side or isolated "dots" that appear on the face, tail, or sides. Picassos come in a high variety of patterns so just look for something that looks different if you plan on breeding your own strain. No guarantee this will appear on the progeny, though.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out one of our sponsors, Alpha Aquaculture. They specialize in Designer Clownfish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies, I appreciate that!

Check out one of our sponsors, Alpha Aquaculture. They specialize in Designer Clownfish.

Yes, I have looked through their selection dozen's of times over the past couple weeks! Very nice indeed, although I am one to always try to purchase in person locally whenever possible... I will keep them in mind though, thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I drove all the way down to the place that was having a 1-day special on Picasso Clowns only to find 1 left available for purchase (and it wasn't all that nice of a specimen to my eye)... so I ended up paying a bit more for a beautiful pair of Black Ice Clowns instead! lol

OP
OP
B

BODI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree!

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpg
    IMG_6597.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 142

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back