Picked up this $50 Oceanic Tech Tank 65G

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to be upgrading my Biocube 32 with this starfire glass 65G with oak stand. I’ve made sure it holds water and the seals looks good, it’s obviously been resealed. The overflow is sealed and I removed the bulkheads because one was leaking and the other to be safe. I used a heat gun to loosen the o-ring/gasket that was making one stuck and an oil canister wrench to loosen the bulkhead nuts.

I’m so glad I didn’t crack this tank but I was extremely careful. So anyone needing help removing a bulkhead use an oil canister wrench and a heat gun (not longer than 20 seconds on low with a few second cool down between heating) if it’s stuck.

I spray painted the few small spots where the black tinting scraped off the back panel and need one more trip to the store to get the pvc pieces to replace the sump return plumbing because this one leaked a little when I closed the valve and stopped the flow back into the sump.

I had to post my best deal ever... $50 for the tank, sump, skimmer, pumps and a nice working old aqualight Pro and another $40 for the new bulkheads and other miscellaneous plumbing and touch up items and this should be running this weekend. This is my first sump and saltwater tank over 32 gallons so I learned a lot and feel like I finally know what I’m doing (well a little, at least) now to move my tank over without any losses. Fingers crossed!

ba1ef2da6341fa63df2e7e0e12e8986f.jpg
4ac908e2b420786f157a23951196f7d6.jpg
abda3815cdda057548e80a66887dad8e.jpg

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice score! Gotta save money when ya can, helps to maximize the livestock budget! Will be expecting pics when you get it all set up. :)

Just an FYI in case you hadn’t decided yet, there are some much better choices today than the bioballs the sump includes. Might want to consider replacing them. :) good luck!

OP
OP
ReefMeUpScotty

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice score! Gotta save money when ya can, helps to maximize the livestock budget! Will be expecting pics when you get it all set up. :)

Just an FYI in case you hadn’t decided yet, there are some much better choices today than the bioballs the sump includes. Might want to consider replacing them. :) good luck!

Absolutely! I was debating on getting rid of the bio balls. What would you suggest for this size tank? In my Biocube I have purigen, seachem seagel, chem pure blue and matrix rocks. Then a thing of chaeto with a light.

The sump doesn’t have the vertical acrylic divider probably because the skimmer pump is taking up where it would go. Is it ok not having the dividing piece and can I just remove the bioballs and put in new filter media in that same chamber? I bought a piece of acrylic I can cut to make a wall if needed.

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely! I was debating on getting rid of the bio balls. What would you suggest for this size tank? In my Biocube I have purigen, seachem seagel, chem pure blue and matrix rocks. Then a thing of chaeto with a light.

The sump doesn’t have the vertical acrylic divider probably because the skimmer pump is taking up where it would go. Is it ok not having the dividing piece and can I just remove the bioballs and put in new filter media in that same chamber? I bought a piece of acrylic I can cut to make a wall if needed.

What are the dimensions on the sump? You could get pretty creative. If you wanna post some better pics of it with measurements we could definitely come up with some cool mods. There’s a big DIY community here on R2R!

There wouldn’t be a problem just dumping matrix in where the bio balls are.

OP
OP
ReefMeUpScotty

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions on the sump? You could get pretty creative. If you wanna post some better pics of it with measurements we could definitely come up with some cool mods. There’s a big DIY community here on R2R!

There wouldn’t be a problem just dumping matrix in where the bio balls are.

Here are a few more pictures. The sump measures 23.75in long x 11.5in wide x 16in tall and the left side where the return pump connects and sits next to has about 8 inches between the stand wall and the sump to fit the new plumbing.

For plumbing do I need a check valve and a ball valve? This current setup has it but it leaks once I close the ball valve and the check is right above it. I was hoping to just use pvc pipe from the pump to the top and connect a barb and return hose but not sure if a hose can connect horizontal and be fine or if it would be better the connect a flexible hose to a vertical barb.

I’m also not sure the best way to set up the filtration without the bioballs in there. Should I make a couple walls somewhere in the sump? The skimmer pump takes up just enough room to keep me fo m putting the acrylic divider in the slot that’s already in this sump..
IMG_4202.JPG
IMG_4204.JPG
IMG_4206.JPG
IMG_4207.JPG
IMG_4208.JPG
IMG_4209.JPG
IMG_4210.JPG
IMG_4211.JPG
IMG_4212.JPG
IMG_4205.JPG

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I see the overflow? If you’re not in a rush, I’d be more than happy to help you figure all that out, and/or point you in the direction of some awesome resources.

OP
OP
ReefMeUpScotty

ReefMeUpScotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see the overflow? If you’re not in a rush, I’d be more than happy to help you figure all that out, and/or point you in the direction of some awesome resources.

I’m planning on spending Sunday and Monday getting the new bulkheads in and plumbing the return pump as long as I have the needed pieces. I live in an apartment and want to swap out the Biocube ASAP since this is sitting in the living room. I may just hook up a ball valve, check valve and an angled toward the back barb to attach the return hose up to the tank.

I’ll probably just pack in matrix and seagel under the filter floss and replace the bioballs until I figure out how I’m going to rearrange the sump. So any sump help is much appreciated!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back