Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update day 3

Put water in tank on Saturday. By Sunday morning the two tidal 55s had the water crystal clear. I had concerns about noise with the two filters but they are pretty dang quiet.

I have spent so much time planning and thinking this tank through over an over and trying to be patient. Now that I have water in the dang thing I want everything done now. :)! LFS has another container of live rock rubble in their live rock tank and I think I am going to grab it as well. I like all the rubble in there for the mantis to be able to sculpt the tank the way he wants.

As I said my Current USA light should be in on Wed. I am planning on running 50% blue 25% red 10% green and 10% white for daylight use with a ramp up and down for sunset and sunset. Any suggestions of course would be appreciated.

My plan is to keep the tank well stocked with hermit crabs and snails so the mantis can feed as he would normally. I am hoping this will allow me to have a couple fish in the tank without him going postal on them. Again if anybody has any suggestions for possible tank mates I would appreciate hearing them.

CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my Current USA light today! Took about 30 minutes to get it out of the box and powered up. Programming took a little time but all things considered was pretty easy.
Getting close to mantis in the tank time!
CR

20180523_210952.jpg

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my screen top done tonight. In doing so found out screen work is not my calling but managed to get it done. Looking more like a mantis mansion all the time.
20180524_204045.jpg

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my N Wennerae for free with some Gulf Live Rock and set him up in a 10 gallon tank. He will soon get a sump attached to a 20 long tank. My guy is very active and seems happy borrowing in the rock. I ended up using a Par38 bulb from amazon and I like the light it puts out. Looking forward to seeing how this setup turns out

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choss,

I looked into those par38 lamps when I was still leaning towards a 20 gallon. They are pretty nice and a good price point! When I moved to a 40 I wanted something to allow me a bit more flexibility.

I will post more pics when I get my mantis.

CR

Raindog3030

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a G. Smithii in a Waterbox 7g, best thing I did when setting it up is a single base rock, and the other 2 rocks interlock very well! Our little Bambam has already created his own elaborate tunnel network, with at least 5 different openings visible underneath the base rock. Good luck and enjoy! They are an absolute treat to keep!

IMHO, since you already upgraded to such a large system, I'd consider getting a Peacock ;)

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make the tank as mantis specific as possible. To do that I want a light that I can bump up the blue and tone down the white. I have been looking at the Current USA products and they are pretty nice.

At some point in the future I might consider some corals in the tank once the mantis was adjusted to his surroundings and doing well.

CR

I️ would go with the current orbit lights. These lights will be able to grow most Lps and softies easily and I️ imagine that’s what you’ll keep with the mantis anyways if you add coral.

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the 36" Orbit Marine IC. Awesome light! I think with my roughly 17" water depth it should be good for some softies as you said. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate the advice.
CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I️ would go with the current orbit lights. These lights will be able to grow most Lps and softies easily and I️ imagine that’s what you’ll keep with the mantis anyways if you add coral.
The above post was in response to this comment. Not sure what i did wrong.
CR

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting closer and closer to Mantis time! Made some upgrades to tank and liking results so far. Decided to get a second 36" Orbit IC and got two of the brackets to get both lifted a bit above the tank. Just makes things easier. Put some frags of GSP in and three fire fish. LFS hopes to find me a nice peacock next time he goes to Miami. I think tank is primed and ready. 20180530_175039.jpg

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think those firefish's days are numbered once the mantis is in the tank.

I am hoping that is not the case. Couple different people I have talked to have had fish with their peacock mantis and did not have issues. If I keep enough snails and crabs in the tank and feed him I am hoping I will be good.

CR

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My N wennerae was quickly trained to wait for my feeding pipe. He comes right out. To date he's only killed one snail and that was in the beginning before I trained him (or her). So I think as long as you are diligent in feeding maybe all will be fine.

OP
OP
Kinslayer1965

Kinslayer1965

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choss,

That is my plan! Thanks for the advice!

You got any pictures of your beast?

CR

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take some this weekend. I’m also reworking my system so his little tank will start to get some nice cosmetic and flow upgrades. Essentially I’m plumbing two tanks to one sump so he’ll go from two HOB filters to a system with overflow and protein skimmer. I have a good amount of small coral frags I will add and he’ll get some sand and rubble. And maybe a damsel down the road.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back