Picking Up Stuff on Vacation?

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im from Ohio and on vacation in Kansas City till Friday. I know there are some saltwater stores out here I might check out. Question is if one of the stores is nice enough to have and extra Styrofoam container to give me for the ride home would I be okay? If I found anything nice and purchased it late Thursday, we would be leaving early Friday morning and driving back (about a 11 hour drive). Would they survive about 24 hours or not? If they wont I wouldnt risk shipping Id just pass and purchase back home.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a problem. You should just plan ahead and try to keep temps relatively stable at around 77-79. You should consider buying a heat pack if weather it’s too cold or a couple ice packs if too hot.

OP
OP
W

Waffen06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked out one store and has a nice selection of frags and good prices on everything. Debating picking up a cleaner shrimp as they are about $25 less here, would a shrimp survive in the bag like the coral for about 24 hours in a cooler?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re definitely okay. I live in Houston and went to Panama City Beach in Florida to catch some critters at the beaches. Bought a cheap styrofoam cooler and they were okay, 100% live rate. However, I do recommend you fill the cooler up with saltwater and add an air stone and travel like that, easier to temp control and livestock is able to live in there for quite a long time. I caught damselfish the first day and 8 days later I got home and temp acclimated them. No casualties. Keep it in the shade in the car, and if you stop for lunch or something take it in with you. Definitely take some frag racks with legs if you plan on buying corals. Happy reefing and safe travels!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Houston and went to Panama City Beach in Florida to catch some critters at the beaches.

@footgal

Did you go to the Jetties in St Andrew State Park or possibly Shell Island?

Better be careful and play it low key bc Florida Fish and Wildlife Officers will put you in J A I L for unlicensed collection:

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal

Did you go to the Jetties in St Andrew State Park or possibly Shell Island?

Better be careful and play it low key bc Florida Fish and Wildlife Officers will put you in J A I L for unlicensed collection:

Oh believe me, I researched EVERYTHING. Followed all the laws and regulations, completely legal. Also stopped by some stores. We rented a pontoon and went a little ways past crab island, I guess it might’ve technically been shell island. Basically took home a couple hermits and damselfish, totally within the collection regulations.

Back