Picking Your Clownfish

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sincerely hope it keeps working out for you. The arrival of sexual maturity will be the biggest challenge... well, and time of course. Best of luck with it. :D
This is a very polite and positive minded way of saying keep an eye on your clarki's as they mature, I think clarki's and maroons top the chart for being territorial, and could one day whip on those picasso's and possibly others, but perhaps confusion will work in your favor in that mix, but just be forewarned, when they mature, especially when/if they spawn, it can be a jekyl and hyde transformation overnight, and often too late when you discover this to pull the weaker clowns, and my money would be on those clarki's being the victor.
It does like nice as is right now though, also wish good luck!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very polite and positive minded way of saying keep an eye on your clarki's as they mature, I think clarki's and maroons top the chart for being territorial, and could one day whip on those picasso's and possibly others, but perhaps confusion will work in your favor in that mix, but just be forewarned, when they mature, especially when/if they spawn, it can be a jekyl and hyde transformation overnight, and often too late when you discover this to pull the weaker clowns, and my money would be on those clarki's being the victor.
It does like nice as is right now though, also wish good luck!

;) Yes. Clarkis can be extremely aggressive and can get much larger than the ocellaris and percula clowns. But, I've seen people break rules and it work out before. Situations where it shouldn't have worked and it did. Yes, keep a close eye on them for sure as time goes on.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith, in another thread you suggested a single clown, left alone, could begin a transition to female within six months. How prevalent is this? What if this single clown has been mixed with other fish (none of which are clowns) for roughly a year? Reason I ask...a local reefer has a 1" percula for sale, which would be ideal to match up with my 2" female, provided the new guy didn't begin a transition. I understand there could be other rejection criteria...and yes I will quarantine first. :)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meredith, in another thread you suggested a single clown, left alone, could begin a transition to female within six months. How prevalent is this? What if this single clown has been mixed with other fish (none of which are clowns) for roughly a year? Reason I ask...a local reefer has a 1" percula for sale, which would be ideal to match up with my 2" female, provided the new guy didn't begin a transition. I understand there could be other rejection criteria...and yes I will quarantine first. :)

Nope, other fish won't effect whether a clown changes to female or not. That single clown is the most dominant clown in the tank which has her change to a her. I would bet money that 1 inch clown is either already female or has begun to change.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, other fish won't effect whether a clown changes to female or not. That single clown is the most dominant clown in the tank which has her change to a her. I would bet money that 1 inch clown is either already female or has begun to change.

Wow! Am I glad I read your article. Could have had a big problem. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Am I glad I read your article. Could have had a big problem. Thanks so much for the quick reply.

No prob. I'm glad it helped you :)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" clown is still a very young clown, usually up to about an inch and a quarter is about the size it becomes more of a gamble, and the only thing that would make me question it is if it was a single unpaired clown all that time, but regardless of size alone it's very simple to find out w/out having any negative issues, simply introduce it in a floating breeder box and observe what your existing clown does.
This is really how all new potential mates should be introduced, sometimes floated near the existing for a day or two, maybe 3, let her get used to it, check it out.
It's usually pretty obvious, either she will dart at it like she wants to kill it, or she will be calm and curious, and this way there is no harm to the new clown.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" clown is still a very young clown, usually up to about an inch and a quarter is about the size it becomes more of a gamble, and the only thing that would make me question it is if it was a single unpaired clown all that time, but regardless of size alone it's very simple to find out w/out having any negative issues, simply introduce it in a floating breeder box and observe what your existing clown does.
This is really how all new potential mates should be introduced, sometimes floated near the existing for a day or two, maybe 3, let her get used to it, check it out.
It's usually pretty obvious, either she will dart at it like she wants to kill it, or she will be calm and curious, and this way there is no harm to the new clown.

Have considered this. Would require a significant effort to quarantine/observe prior to risking any cross contamination just find out if they are compatible.

Last edited:

javman9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the article, I've had a pair of ocellaris for just over a year, they get along but they don't really hang out together to much and I've yet to see the typical matting dance moves, what are the chances they are the same sex, if they are what are the chances i could put 3 more in my 100 g dt,
What do you know about yellow tangs and coral beauties, the tang and the beauty are doing the dance, tale to tale with no aggressive move twards each other, what are your thoughts on whats going on? TIA Java.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the chances they are the same sex, if they are what are the chances i could put 3 more in my 100 g dt,
They probably just don't want to pair up. It happens. Just because they are male and female (or both male) doesn't mean the will pair up. I wouldn't add any more clowns to the tank though. You can try to replace the one you think is male with another and see if the "female" likes him better.
the tang and the beauty are doing the dance, tale to tale with no aggressive move twards each other, what are your thoughts on whats going on?

Sounds like aggression to me. The tang will fight by swiping it's tail (where the scalpel is located) at other fish.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have considered this. Would require a significant effort to quarantine/observe prior to risking any cross contamination just find out if they are compatible.
Not easy doing the correct way, no, possibly QT your existing and float a potential mate in a closed container just to see if compatible and then QT both maybe, but yes that still comes w/ risks understandably.
Personally I would figure a way, I would always want a pair, it's worth the effort to me, but if it's not to you then do what matters to you.
I suppose given your situation might be better to pass on the clown mentioned and order one very young from a breeder might be a better gamble.

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not easy doing the correct way, no, possibly QT your existing and float a potential mate in a closed container just to see if compatible and then QT both maybe, but yes that still comes w/ risks understandably.
Personally I would figure a way, I would always want a pair, it's worth the effort to me, but if it's not to you then do what matters to you.
I suppose given your situation might be better to pass on the clown mentioned and order one very young from a breeder might be a better gamble.
Exactly! I want a pair and my best approach might be to visit a local LFS (there are several good ones in the Dallas area...Meredith might have a recommendation...) and observe a tank full of juveniles. Pick one of the smallest guys in the bunch.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I want a pair and my best approach might be to visit a local LFS (there are several good ones in the Dallas area...Meredith might have a recommendation...) and observe a tank full of juveniles. Pick one of the smallest guys in the bunch.

I might.... I work at one in the area ;)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it too early to submit my Christmas list? :)

Just a hair. lol June is a great time of year to fulfill a list like that though.... and that's a lot closer than Christmas :D

JakeShu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article!
Hey Meredith, I have an ocellaris that has developed a growth on her lip. I'm concerned it will become a issue with feeding. Any ideas what it could be and any options for treatment?
I just bought some new clowns the other day and the ext day the one had a white bump on its mouth and it wouldn't close its mouth. It could have bumped it in the tank or fighting another fish. If you have any corals like frogspawn or hammer coral it could have stung it in the mouth as well. My fish was better after a few days just need to make sure it is eating.

Best of luck!

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's all the love for tomato clowns? My female is a complete pain. I haven't been able to clean anything near their anemone island because the female tomato has learned that there is soft meaty flesh at the top of the tweezers I use. o_O Some fish shouldn't be so smart.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back