Issues issues issues..... That has been the last month.. I have been traveling a TON for work. this let to some neglect of the tank. first sign was the beautiful frogspawn decided to brown jelly 4 out of 5 heads! UGH. I have one left that is doing well. hopefully I can get things right and happy. also, several of my acro's were losing tissue at the tips. Overall they looked like Crapola!!!! UGh.. so here are the lessons learned
1. if you use Ecobak, FEED more than just a pinch of food daily (every other day when out of town)(thanks honey). Ecobak works best in a well fed tank. so go ahead and feed them fat fish more. I now feed them two or three times daily. Hopefully this will help as I feel (after reading TONS of threads) the water was TOO clean.
2. Also, Dont run GFO once your ecobak is broke in. there is no need as you starve the bacteria of phosphates they need to process the nitrates etc.... Ugh...
3. Check your PH probe calibration regularly. mine was about .3 off. yea.. it read 8.16 but was actually like 7.8. after learning this, I check the KH more closely and realised it was like 6.1!!! maybe this was part of the issue. So, over the last three days I now have it sitting at 8.3KH. It was really swinging the PH too. now my PH is hovering around 7.9 ish. I plan to check it again nightly for the next week to make sure the CaRx is keeping up. (likely it was not)
Ok. so the lessons I learned are helpful. I used to run a "dirty" system (no skimmer, no pellets, no waterchanges, no carbon). now trying to run a ULNS is the exact opposite. I was feeding like it was my dirty system.
One piece of equipment I did invest in this past month was a Reefkeeper. it started off as a RKL with a PC4 and Sl1, but has been upgraded to the Reefkeeper Elite with the net module. Soooooo....now I can actually monitor the tank from afar. I dont have everything on the system yet. currently it just controls the lights, fans and closed loop pump, monitors the PH and temp and gives me readouts, but I do have other plans for it. I will need about 3 more PC4's, and then I can get everything under the RKE's control.
Still Hesitant on using it for temp control as I have a really nice Medusa controller and a Pinpoint for the CaRx.