PICO AQUARIUM build

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had this 2 gallon aquarium laying around that I used to hatch brine shrimp in but was not ideal to do so b/c of the flat bottom. And I decided to start a Pico aquarium.
First I took a hammer to some LR and started to make the aqua scape that I wanted. I also used a drill to drill holes for zip bands to hold the rock together so when I go to add any corals I can just pull out the whole aqua scape and attach anything I want without ever having to use frag plugs. Then for substrate I used crushed oyster shells. And for flow I have a hang on the back filter that is just the right amount of flow for the tank. I plan to use this as sump to grow macro algae. The filter is clear on the sides so it should be ok to let light in for the macro algae to grow. for the canopy I took apart an old book self that I was not using and cut it to fit on top. It has an opening on the front but I still have to mount some hinges to hold the door in place. Now for lighting I will install a 10 watt 50/50 PC light bulb. hopefully it will be enough, if not I will add a second one.
I put this tank together two weeks ago, and to start the cycle I used a pint of skimate from my skimmer to jumpstart the bacteria growth in the ammonia cycle. (that is why the water is green in some of the pictures) It cleared up in the first week but I added more to really get the cycle going. I have not done any tests to see were the levels are because I know they would be high (skimate) might check levels next week. I know that I am missing a heater but I ordered one on amazon and should be here Tuesday.
I'm open to any ideas on things I might have missed or even comments on things to do. This is my first Pico, so it is new ground for me. thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed it. I will post more pictures when I add corals, once again open to ideas here along with maybe a fish.

Attachments

• PICO (1).jpg
    PICO (1).jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 161
  • PICO (2).jpg
    PICO (2).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 152
  • PICO (4).jpg
    PICO (4).jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 156
  • PICO (7).jpg
    PICO (7).jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 151
  • PICO (10).jpg
    PICO (10).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 160

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back