Pico--- not really nano

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, after MACNA I thought I would try my hand a pico tank. It is an EVO 5. This is by far the smallest tank I have ever had. I decided to try setting it up completely different than typical for me.

I purchased the tank, bought caribalive figi pink sand, and purchases pre made saltwater (nutrition-sea).

Set it all up...now waiting for it to cycle...

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the plans once it's cycled?

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are the plans once it's cycled?
I plan on doing a small anemone tank....I purchased some red mini haldonis and a few really nice mini maxis and in my frag tank, they don't get the love that they deserve. I thought a couple of baby clowns or maybe some sexy shrimp might make it look more appealing.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing a small anemone tank....I purchased some red mini haldonis and a few really nice mini maxis and in my frag tank, they don't get the love that they deserve. I thought a couple of baby clowns or maybe some sexy shrimp might make it look more appealing.

Nice...that sounds like a great plan. But none of this actually happened without pictures!!!!! :)

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on the cycle....added 2 blue legs and 1 turbo and I trochus snail. Ready to start adding soon....we'll was soon as the cycle is done :)

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not much happening with the pico right now....finished the cycle, added some new live rock (which had aptasia on it so it was removed) added a Fire Shrimp and a Sexy Shrimp....things looking good right now....not sure about the flow though....seems weak and powerheads seem too big to use....Im not sure how the LPS would react to the low flow I see....Might try it soon though. I have a frogspawn that needs more space...maybe time to frag it...I also cleaned some Tonga branch I had and I am just washing it off to then add to the tank...pest free this time :)

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not much happening with the pico right now....finished the cycle, added some new live rock (which had aptasia on it so it was removed) added a Fire Shrimp and a Sexy Shrimp....things looking good right now....not sure about the flow though....seems weak and powerheads seem too big to use....Im not sure how the LPS would react to the low flow I see....Might try it soon though. I have a frogspawn that needs more space...maybe time to frag it...I also cleaned some Tonga branch I had and I am just washing it off to then add to the tank...pest free this time :)

2 of these would work great in a 5 gallon and be plenty of flow. I have 1 in my specIII 2.6 gallon and its perfect running at 100%
Hydor Pico Evo-Mag 180 Circulation Pump with Magnet Mount, 180 GPH https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UK5CTG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_UhoDybSNW4BJB

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I installed the pico pump suggested above....seems to get everything moving well! I started to qt fish awahile back for the tank and lost them all to ich. Going to get a few more soon...just trying to figure out which ones I want.....I was thinking clowns at first, now thinking a goby and pistol shrimp pair....not sure I could put all 3 fish in this little tank

WillTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, after MACNA I thought I would try my hand a pico tank. It is an EVO 5. This is by far the smallest tank I have ever had. I decided to try setting it up completely different than typical for me.

I purchased the tank, bought caribalive figi pink sand, and purchases pre made saltwater (nutrition-sea).

Set it all up...now waiting for it to cycle...

danimgale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just set-up my pico on Monday. I had a 28 gallon nano for about 7 years and miss it. I did the JBJ 3 gallon picotope with about 6 lbs of live rock and about 3 lbs of live sand. Just waiting for my cycle to add some stuff. My parameters today we're SG 1.024, temp, 78.3, PH 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 5, and nitrates 80. Yesterday my nitrates were 20. Seem like I'm on track to everyone?
8e8c933efc17b58a0eec2b28d97417da.jpg

OP
OP
ebushrow

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New update
Added a pair of black misbar occy clowns
Going through nutrient issues and am trying the fauna marin bacto-balls to see how they work. I'll post a picture tomorrow when the light are on

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back