Pico Reef Cycling Questions

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! After many years of owning FW Aquariums and always wanting to jump into reefing, I decided to jump all in a go difficult right away! I have a 4 gallon tank that sits on my desk for that ocean vibe. Its been running for a total of 5 days with live sand and live rock. I'm currently waiting for my test kit to get here from amazon but meanwhile, I've notice in the last day and a half an algae bloom that has begun on a section of rock and it has allot of bubble forming and raising to the top of the tank (see photos below). Is this normal during the cycle? I haven't added any inverts yet as I want to be sure all of my levels are spot on. I'm a very patient person, so there is no rush unless someone thinks otherwise. I have also noticed a handful of extremely small micro-organisms on the glass which I'm assuming is a good thing. Is anyone able to confirm the algae bloom and bubbles being part of the cycle and confirm the small micro-organisms are in fact a good thing? Thank you all in advance, and I'm looking forward to this long awaited adventure in reefing.
20220720_155639.jpg
20220720_155615.jpg
20220720_155621.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As in, rock that came from the ocean and has been allowed to finish any die-off that wanted to happen, or rock that was dumped in some water for a bit until bacteria grew on it? You might want to give them a call and find out. If it's cured ocean live rock, that tank is cycled.

Algae blooms are a normal part of a new tank. The small organisms are probably copepods- tiny white dots that move in twitchy patterns on the glass. They'll hide when/if you add a fish.

(Make sure it's a suitable fish. A trimma goby, clown goby, or maybe a barnacle blenny. Something tiny, that perches in one spot most of the time.)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a skip cycle setup per pics. No testing required, it's a zero cycle, running as stable within 1 minute of tank setup as it will be running on day 1000, a skip cycle. Example is back edited into this collection:

The pics show exact curing to aquarium level matching the known history of the rock along with absence of sponges, tunicates, large stands of algae to rot. We can see by looking, with no other detail provided, this is a skip cycle setup.

OP
OP
D_Yurik

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As in, rock that came from the ocean and has been allowed to finish any die-off that wanted to happen, or rock that was dumped in some water for a bit until bacteria grew on it? You might want to give them a call and find out. If it's cured ocean live rock, that tank is cycled.

Algae blooms are a normal part of a new tank. The small organisms are probably copepods- tiny white dots that move in twitchy patterns on the glass. They'll hide when/if you add a fish.

(Make sure it's a suitable fish. A trimma goby, clown goby, or maybe a barnacle blenny. Something tiny, that perches in one spot most of the time.)
As far as the rock, the later is correct according to the store. Rock dumped in water and let bacteria grow on it.. Wasn't planning any fish, just some inverts. Really wanted just a coral planted tank.

OP
OP
D_Yurik

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a skip cycle setup per pics. No testing required, it's a zero cycle, running as stable within 1 minute of tank setup as it will be running on day 1000, a skip cycle. Example is back edited into this collection:

The pics show exact curing to aquarium level matching the known history of the rock along with absence of sponges, tunicates, large stands of algae to rot. We can see by looking, with no other detail provided, this is a skip cycle setup.
So does this mean I'm ready to add corals? just planning a small frag here and there for a while.

OP
OP
D_Yurik

D_Yurik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With the Algae bloom, does that go away on its own, or only with inverts/chemicals?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Time. There will be many changes.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a little snail!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Algae blooms in new tanks because the fast-growing pest algaes are having fun with the lack of competition. You should stock an appropriate cleanup crew to eat the algae. Given time and reasonable nutrients, not too high and not too low, slower-growing beneficial algae will get the upper hand and the pest algae will fade out.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding from the aquarium shop i bought it at is that its cured live rock.

Ah ok so you bought it wet. Algae is normal if the lights are already on. You can add some ammonia to the tank to test things out if you'd like :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no further cycle verification needed, pics sealed the deal.

Habit in play: not all cycles involve ammonia and bottle bac, some are skip cycles. We are trained to simply add ammonia to everything, we're trained some rocks covered in coralline and algae aren't ready to reef.

The link is nine pages of pics teaching how to visually ID a tank that was skip cycled

Doubt has no place in skip cycling or no reef conventions could ever be ran for thirty years where all the demo tanks start on the same day

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back