Pico Tank Molly Acclimation

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just started a new 3 Gallon Pico tank, and want to add two black mollies for algae control and free food when they make little babies.

I’ve seen people say acclimate them slowly and people say just drop them in. My question is which one has people had more success with? I’m looking for people who’ve done it and not opinions respectfully. I’ve seen a ton of people say no just drop them in after temp acclimating and people say no way you gotta drip acclimate.

anyone got advice?

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I just started a new 3 Gallon Pico tank, and want to add two black mollies for algae control and free food when they make little babies.

I’ve seen people say acclimate them slowly and people say just drop them in. My question is which one has people had more success with? I’m looking for people who’ve done it and not opinions respectfully. I’ve seen a ton of people say no just drop them in after temp acclimating and people say no way you gotta drip acclimate.

anyone got advice?
I can't answer your question for acclimation since I've only kept black mollies in freshwater, but a 3-gallon tank seems extremely small for black mollies to me. They grow to be 2.5-3" long.

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer your question for acclimation since I've only kept black mollies in freshwater, but a 3-gallon tank seems extremely small for black mollies to me. They grow to be 2.5-3" long.
I’ve had two mollys in my 3.5 office tank for 2 and a half years now lol. They are fat and one has had tons of babies. They’re close to their life expectancy though and haven’t slowed down. I don’t think a .5 difference would make or break it.

Edit: I know they need a minimum of a 10 gallon for most recommends so I’m just saying from my end mine have never had an issue. If they out grew my tank I could throw them in my 40 or 60.

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or does anyone have any recommendations for a fish that would be perfect for a pico? Saw Reef Builders put a single damsel in a pico but idk.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore thread not doing fish. Thanks for the response previously. Just going corals and inverts.
I don't have personal experience with picos, but most recommendations I've read agree with this plan. There are probably some tiny fish that might work, but it is a risk in a small tank.

I do have 4 QT tanks at home that are 5.5 gallons, but they are currently empty of any fish due to issues I ran into.

Hopefully your pico pursuits work out well.

OP
OP
Hoodstream

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the response and thank you for the luck, I’m just trying to challenge myself lol. I see people run picos with damsels or clowns but my luck I’ll probably ruin it somehow lol!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back