Pico Zoa Garden Tank

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see some pictures of zoa garden tanks? Or just zoa gardens in general? I have a 6 gallon cube that I just set up on a whim on my desk and it’s currently running a kessil a80, I am thinking of making it a zoa garden and only having them in there.

Can anyone give me some insight on the equipment they run for a nano/pico tank?

I am currently doing a 20% water change daily because it is currently housing some baby clownfish that I am feeding a decent mix of frozen and pellet food until they are big enough to go into my main displays. I am running a Sicce nano micron filter and a 50W preset heater. Can I ditch the Sicce filter once the fish are out of it and just run a power head? I doubt I’ll need to polish the water once the fish are out of it and because I intend to do the water changes daily, the odds of the water temp dropping below deadly levels for zoanthids is minimal.

My personal belief is that a zoa tank of this size can run on a power head and water changes, but if someone has tried and failed or if you have any tips please let me know.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are two of the zoa/paly gardens in my tank.

zoanthid-colony.jpg green-palythoa.jpg

SandNRocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be fine. I have several picos from 2-3 gallons running with just an airpump for flow and a heater. My zoa gardens nothing impressive but its coming along nicely. I deal with evap with a glass lid and do 50-100% wc every week. I dose aminos, AFR, and feed mysis to the lps and broadcast a bit of reef roids. Ive been keeping pretty much every type of sps in there with surprising success, so zoas will be more than happy. My Alk consumptions getting a bit out of hand though lol

IMG_1889.jpeg

OP
OP
Jeremy_d

Jeremy_d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youll be fine. I have several picos from 2-3 gallons running with just an airpump for flow and a heater. My zoa gardens nothing impressive but its coming along nicely. I deal with evap with a glass lid and do 50-100% wc every week. I dose aminos, AFR, and feed mysis to the lps and broadcast a bit of reef roids. Ive been keeping pretty much every type of sps in there with surprising success, so zoas will be more than happy. My Alk consumptions getting a bit out of hand though lol

IMG_1889.jpeg
That is so dope. That gives me more inspiration to push the limits. I’m so interested in doing a 2.5 gallon but am waiting for some frags I cut a few weeks ago to grow more, good to know some minimal ways to add flow.

SandNRocks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look up reef bowl/ reef jar theres other people that have done this for like 20 years straight. you essentially reset the system with every major water change and it can live indefinitely unless some outside catastrophe happens/ you let algae kill it. Another member here : @brandon429 (sorry to tag ya) is where i learned everything from. Hes the expert at this style of reefing. I pretty much read everything hes ever written and then went for it haha

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s so well done so glad to see that creation~

intelijens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_1889.jpeg
This lil pico is rad! Got more pics or ig?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hate that I clicked on this post. I’ve got way to many empty containers sitting around to be given fresh ideas.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back