PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeniseAndy
That looks pretty neat but still takes up a bit of room. The one i made is roughly 1”x.5” and maybe a quarter inch thick. Plus the nice thing about the one i made is that if i need it to scrape a little stronger i can stack a few more of the magnets on top of the outside piece and it’ll pull more on the inside one to get a stronger scrape.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks so be zoa pox to me,which I haven't seen in ages. Fresh water works,light scrubbing with a soft toothbrush works too as well.
Thanks for the comfirmation Steven! I haven’t tried a freshwater dip just yet but i may give it ago if the peroxide doesn’t work out. i wanna give these guys a week or so to heal up from the peroxide and see if/how much of a difference there’s.

OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i was working on my friends tank yesterday killing off some aiptasia and clove polyps and i noticed this red chalice and a purple and green favia that had grown enough onto the sand to have little frags broken off. these along with some others were corals that i keep in my friends tank (they used to own the lfs i helped at and decided to keep the tank when they downsized to a dog grooming shop and i still help maintain the tank from time to time.) because either my tank was too full or i wanted a backup in another tank in case of disaster. so anyway I wasn’t planning on making or bringing home any frags so i was really unprepared. I ended up borrowing a cat food dish to take them home in. Not my finest moment but it worked lol. So i got them home and into my tank. They are both a cracked down the middle but they should heal up after a while. The red chalice is just barely broken so im not worried about it but the favia was folding over itself when the water sloshed around so it might have some trouble. the chalice is also pretty large compared to what i wanted for the tank so i may brake it at the crack and put the bigger piece in my main tank. Anyway here are some pics.

Red chalice mother colony.
1660951403806.jpeg

Frags in a dish
1660951434891.jpeg

1660951471856.jpeg

Red chalice. took the pic a couple different times immediately after putting it in the tank to try and get a good repersentation of its color but its near impossible. In one pic it looks orange and in another it looks purplish red. The last pic of it looks pretty close to what i see. The last one is also today about 24 hours after i put it in the tank and you can already see its little feeder tentacles starting to come out.

1660951663420.jpeg

1660951696489.jpeg

1660951723325.jpeg

And here’s a couple shots of the purple and green favia. the colors are beautiful and I’m hoping it’ll heal and eventually grow in this tank. The first pic was taken just after i put it in and the second was today just a little while ago. It’s not looking as good today imo But im hoping that’s just the stress of being broken and moved.
1660951904176.jpeg

1660951938513.jpeg

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking spectacular already, love your use of coral skeletons in place of live rock makes a truly unique looking scape. I've always enjoyed the way the limitations of a nano or pico can promote creativity its what makes this hobby inspiring IMO. To be able to miniaturize a stable ecosystem into such a confined space is really an unbelievable
task we often don't give ourselves credit for in this hobby. Excited to see where you take this and best of luck.
P.S. That chalice is a killer piece

OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking spectacular already, love your use of coral skeletons in place of live rock makes a truly unique looking scape. I've always enjoyed the way the limitations of a nano or pico can promote creativity its what makes this hobby inspiring IMO. To be able to miniaturize a stable ecosystem into such a confined space is really an unbelievable
task we often don't give ourselves credit for in this hobby. Excited to see where you take this and best of luck.
P.S. That chalice is a killer piece
Thanks so much strawberryfish!! And yes i completely agree its awesome to see the ways we as a community tackle the challenges that a tiny tank can bring in such creative ways and i think that’s part of the fun of it. Plus its fun to share to share with likeminded people and grow the hobby as a whole. I think as we learn how to better care for tiny tanks like these it betters the hobby altogether by making it easier for folks with larger tanks. And thank you I’ve had the chalice for a few years now, just living in my buddies tank. To be honest im not quite sure how old it is. I actually glued it to an old clam shell with the plan of cutting up the shell and making frags to sell but its been so long that its grown well past the shell and is a couple inches past it lol.

OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to add a light like this to your tank :)
What are those!?!?!? They look pretty cool. They kind of remind me of the ecoxotic stunner strips. I had some of those on my 5 gallon tank and they did really well although they did have corrosion problems over the years..

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outer rows are Nanobox Beam Glow strips and down the middle is SemiLed UV/violet ranging from 390nm-430nm controlled by a Coralux Storm controller and ldd drivers.

Attachments

• 2716279-9c45d0e46d19f46884fa76ac9251c9b9.jpg
    2716279-9c45d0e46d19f46884fa76ac9251c9b9.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The outer rows are Nanobox Beam Glow strips and down the middle is SemiLed UV/violet ranging from 390nm-430nm controlled by a Coralux Storm controller and ldd drivers.
Those are pretty sweet. I’ll check ‘em out since ill prob had to add more light down the road, .
Man I just can't seem to get in gear with my 3g. Lookin good!
D
what’s wrong with your three gallon? And thank you!

OP
OP
PicoReefGuy

PicoReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i looked up nanobox and couldn’t find any of their products for sale which sucks cause i saw an old marine depot video about a nanobox led fixture that was something like 5”x3” and just powerful enough for something this size.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back