View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Could this be used:

With this probe:

and this heating element:

To keep the temp stable in a tank. Im specifically interested in the PID controllers.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much benefit you would actually get from it. PID's are great for controlling temperatures (one of the most useful functions of the derivative) but normally it is used to prevent overshooting a temperature during a change in temperature setpoints.
Since the accuracy is only 0.1C, and you want stability instead of control through changes, I think there would be little to be gained.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how much benefit you would actually get from it. PID's are great for controlling temperatures (one of the most useful functions of the derivative) but normally it is used to prevent overshooting a temperature during a change in temperature setpoints.
Since the accuracy is only 0.1C, and you want stability instead of control through changes, I think there would be little to be gained.
Thank You for this!!! I appreciate it.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would an Apex EB8 be a good idea to use as heater control, it has 6 solid state relays, so can take a lot of on/off cycles?
My issue is: the tank has a 1.7F swing every ~4 hours because the temp controller samples way too slow.

I was thinking of getting an EB8 + Inc-bird that will be set to 1F higher than Apex + BRS heating element = EB8 takes the on/off cycles while Inc-bird is the redundancy. That way i get safety and a stable temp?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on how large your heaters are. I don't recall off the top of my head, but the EB8 solid state relays have a fairly low current limit. They have physical relays for higher current loads. But I found my Apex with EB8 to maintain excellent temperature control.

OP
OP
A

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would have to see what elements would work better, but im guessing I would end up with 2 X 300w elements plugged into 2 solid state sockets. Thanks for the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back