Pinched mantle disease ID and treatment options.

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look like PMD to me either.
Thank you. What do you think could be going on?

I have it placed near the top of my 90 gallon. Am running a six bulb ATI fixture. I’ve had it for 3 months. Originally was getting nipped by a powder blue tang, but I removed the tang 2 months ago. It was lower down in tank but have since moved it up. Perhaps flow is too high? Here are other parameters:

Temp: 77
Alk: 8.3
Ca: 425
Mag: 1300
No3: 40+

jajasonson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fact that there’s cca growing on the upper margins of the shell tells me it’s been in low light for too long ands is likely starving to death.
Thank you! I was told an ATI six bulb would be enough.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you! I was told an ATI six bulb would be enough.
Our eyes are very poor at judging intensity/brightness. Also, clams are individuals and each will require different intensities and most recommendations are simply starting points for each species, so they can vary quite a lot. I have a couple croceas that are doing just fine under what most would call lower intensity, while a derasa under that same lighting requires more intensity. You would think it would be the opposite, but it isn't always the case. Simple rule to follow is, constant new shell growth equals enough lighting. The amount of new shell will be based on species, age and available light. There are other factors, but as long as you're feeding your fish, those other factors are usually never an issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back