pinched mantle

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 2" ultra derassa clam that seems to be having pinched mantle problems, I do the 30 min rodi water treatment and it does work but then a weak later the clam gets it again. Anyone have or had the same issue that can help me? atm I'm doing the rodi water treatment again

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture? Are there any other clams in the tank? Do you have another system or QT tank?

OP
OP
T

TwentyfiveCents

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is another derrasa in there and it's about 4" and never had an issue, and I dont have another system or QT. that pic is right after a 30 min RODI treatment, would high flow cause enough stress on this small clam? Read that stress can cause pinched mantle but don't know if that is actually true

20201117_111503_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look like a Maxima instead of a Derassa.
PMD most likely (my guess) an infectious disease by an obligatory parasite with very short off the host phase. You can treat all the clams at the same time. With and without disease. Also set up a short QT tank and keep them there for a few days. This should successfully eliminate all the PMD pathogen from your tank.
fir QT you can use LED daylight flood light a heater and small PH. Not expensive to set up.
Good luck

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the 30 min rodi water treatment and it does work but then a weak later the clam gets it again.

i put a 2" blue maxima thru the freshwater dip routine also last wednesday, and also see suspected pinched mantle returning.

performed a second dip on sunday. the clam perked up after the first dip, and it's holding it's own still after the second, but no full extension yet. may just need repeat applications.

every day when i get home, the first thing i do is check my clams lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back