Pincushion Urchin a Nightmare

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apology to those members sincerely posting in the thread who post were deleted. Best to just ignore those post insulting or trolling in nature.

Thanks all.

;Happy

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naw that is not the way it works.

The intent of the thread is lost when it becomes a back and forth with no real benefit to the topic.

Out of respect to the op who took the time to create the thread they deserve better.

I can add that my ORA Variegated Sea Urchin, Lytechinus variegatus, was an excellent algae eater. This urchin also went back and picked up my ORA Boreallis Acropora time and time again even after being glued down twice. A pheromone trail exhibited by some inverts does not explain why this urchin chose the exact same corals time and time again.

Thought about taking an image of the urchin wearing certain corals, but I did not, thought no one would be interested.

reefnow1.jpg
reefnow.jpg

What, let it roll..

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

This urchin also walked away with a Tunze wave maker on it back, in a 20 gallon lagoon tank, had I not been home it would have ended badly. Water was just flowing out of the top of the tank. This urchin also fell into my Haddoni Anemone, was swallowed by the anemone and expelled non the less for wear.

The urchin never munched on any corals. An urchin becoming a opportunistic feeder does not seem out of the realm of possibility. Not a scientist, but I do play a reefer on TV.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tuxedo urchin has taken my entire colony of green and orange cloves onto his back. It took him 3 attempts to get ALL of them. I've just been letting him hold them. They seem happy enough.

He does munch some algae (green, red, coralline... pretty much anything unfortunate enough to be under him...), though.

Darryl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My urchin travels around carrying bits of coral and depositing them in different location.:p

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My apology to those members sincerely posting in the thread who post were deleted. Best to just ignore those post insulting or trolling in nature.

Thanks all.

;Happy
Thank you Tahoe, I tried to delete my post myself. But as you know, I couldn't. Lol your urchin is beautiful by the way!

75galOCD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm just in the middle of GHA coming out of a cycle & my wonderful tyrant in his formal attire decides to clean the foam filter on the MP where all the lose algae ends up & me screaming at the tank "clean my rock or your soup!"

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back