Pincushion Urchin a Nightmare

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought Pincushion urchins were reef safe? Just tried to save a zoa plug and he literally just ate 6 heads. Anyone know what's going on?
MVIMG_20171101_202928.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably ate them. This happened to me when I got my pincushion urchin. He sat on top of the frag plug for an entire day while I was out, dad sent me a picture in the morning and when I got home that night he was still there. I pulled him off and 4 or 5 polyps were gone and I banished him to my sump for like 2 months.
I added him back recently and when I feed my corals I make sure to target feed him some mysis and nori. He hasn’t touched any zoas since.

Fishmanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may not have "eaten" them, they like to wear stuff. If it is not glued down they will steal it.

First, it’s an urchin doing what urchins do, they eat and small frags unfortunately do get eaten.

Second, they don’t like to “wear” stuff...

Third, they don’t “steal.”

It’s an urchin moving around eating and pooping, that’s it. An urchin isn’t going to be wearing some zoas that it stole off a frag plug. [emoji849]

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, it’s an urchin doing what urchins do, they eat and small frags unfortunately do get eaten.

It’s an urchin moving around eating and pooping, that’s it. An urchin isn’t going to be wearing some zoas that it stole off a frag plug. [emoji849]
Lol

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably ate them. This happened to me when I got my pincushion urchin. He sat on top of the frag plug for an entire day while I was out, dad sent me a picture in the morning and when I got home that night he was still there. I pulled him off and 4 or 5 polyps were gone and I banished him to my sump for like 2 months.
I added him back recently and when I feed my corals I make sure to target feed him some mysis and nori. He hasn’t touched any zoas since.
I'm about to get rid of him he's been nothing but a nightmare for the tank. He's eaten snails, my cleaner shrimp, zoas. It's time for him to be banished to the LFS

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to get rid of him he's been nothing but a nightmare for the tank. He's eaten snails, my cleaner shrimp, zoas. It's time for him to be banished to the LFS

Jesus, mine has never gone after snails or shrimp! I’ve seen him carry some snails around but that is crazy. I think yours is either starving or really rogue.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I watched him devour a shrimp, I initially heard these guys were reef safe, but I guess I got the exception.

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how it could catch a shrimp, I would think it can’t move that fast and also hold onto it. Shrimp would have to be dead or really asleep. Sure it wasnt a molt?

I have a couple plus a tuxedo, they are almost always on my glass where there’s tons of coralline. Hardly ever on the live rock where I hoped they’d eat the algae there.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My pin cushion urchin was wearing an acro frag on it's head that wasn't glued down. It's moved to my frag rack on a plug now. Urchins will most definitely wear whatever it can on it's head. I've caught mine with 4 cerith snails on it's head, all of them reaching for something to grab on too.

You've never had an urchin have you...?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mine did. and mushrooms, snail shells, a tiny toadstool.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality, no they don’t. Maybe in your fantasy land. Please post evidence of such behavior... I won’t be holding my breath.
and maybe try being nice. geesh just because you have not experienced these things does not mean you should be so critical of others who have infact experienced such things. live and learn. :)

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is currently obsessed with two feather duster worms, a frag of zoas and a couple of snail shells. I've never seen her eat anything but nori. My tuxedo is not nearly as obsessed with carrying things - she'll usually only carry one thing at a time.

2017 Sept 21 urchin carrying things.jpg

Yes, there's an urchin in there - the macroalgae is attached to the rock rubble and she carried both around, plus a frag of a hammer coral. She gave up on the macroalgae eventually. I was shocked to see her lift if off the sand as she moved around. I would have thought it was too heavy!

ThunderGoose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well duh, they run into things and they get stuck between/on their spines.

I can ensure you it isn’t on purpose.

So let me rephrase:

Please post any actual scientific and credible information showing such behavior in the wild from an actual, you know, scientist,biologist, etc.

Until then, please stop spreading false information.

Take a close look at my picture (previous post). That frag plug isn't "stuck" on her spines. She has long "feet" that she uses to grasp things.

Oh, and I AM an actual biologist.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well duh, they run into things and they get stuck between/on their spines.

I can ensure you it isn’t on purpose.

So let me rephrase:

Please post any actual scientific and credible information showing such behavior in the wild from an actual, you know, scientist,biologist, etc.

Until then, please stop spreading false information.

He's just a troll guys... stop feeding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back