Pincushion urchin

knl222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zs2X3KTgtaPrgHAE7
I need help. I added this urchin yesterday after acclimating it and it was moving around really well and seemed fine. Come to this morning and it wasn't moving, I wondered if it was hungry so I put another algae pellet under by it, wouldn't move though. Hours later it started to lose spikes and I couldn't figure out what had happened. I don't think it was anything to do with the water as nothing had changed over the night(I tested everything), it still hasn't moved but hasn't lost all of it spikes and I think they stopped falling off. Could it be molting or just stressed out. Please someone

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not ahve anything to do with your system. Stress is a definite since it's just been moved to a new system but it could have some underlying issue, physical damage may not be visisble unitl the skeleton is exposed for example.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they do very well traveling in plastic bags, as they can’t attach to the bags and are banged around on the way home. I prefer to use what I call a Chinese soup container, as they can attach to them. Also I prefer the Tuxedo Urchins above all the others, they generally don’t cause or get into trouble. BTW, Stay away from Rock Borers, some can even etch glass.

OP
OP
K

knl222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not ahve anything to do with your system. Stress is a definite since it's just been moved to a new system but it could have some underlying issue, physical damage may not be visisble unitl the skeleton is exposed for example.
It's been two days now but it hasn't lost all its spines yet, but it won't move and don't think it's eating. I had put a algae disk under it but don't think it ate any of it, should I just euthanize it, cause I don't know if it's alive or dying.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been two days now but it hasn't lost all its spines yet, but it won't move and don't think it's eating. I had put a algae disk under it but don't think it ate any of it, should I just euthanize it, cause I don't know if it's alive or dying.

I guess the decision on euthanizing would be based on how it looks. If the remaining spines are laying flat that's a bad sign. If the remaining spines are being held upright I would take it as a sign of life. Even better is if they are upright and you gently bump it with your finger and it moves all the upright spines.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 27 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 105 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back