Pineapple sponge?

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to stick my hand down into the last chamber of the sump today... I was fishing around for something else and suddenly found this in my hand. I will admit I yelped a little bit, wasn't expecting it. :face-with-open-mouth::oops::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Is this a large pineapple sponge? I have hundred of little ones all throughout the overflow and sump. This one has a different form.

Unknown life form 2.jpg

Unknown life form.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sponge, but not a pineapple sponge.
Hello,
So I am fairly certain that I have pineapple sponges. Any ideas on best way to get rid of them? It is a new tank, 3 months old. I do not have any lights on yet. 90 G, with a protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, canister filter, and an HOB Marineland 400 with charcoal. Several powerheads. 2 clowns, a 3” naso, a 3 ” foxface, a diamond goby, watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, and several snails. How do I get rid of the sponges? I am sure they came in on live rock.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
So I am fairly certain that I have pineapple sponges. Any ideas on best way to get rid of them? It is a new tank, 3 months old. I do not have any lights on yet. 90 G, with a protein skimmer, UV sterilizer, canister filter, and an HOB Marineland 400 with charcoal. Several powerheads. 2 clowns, a 3” naso, a 3 ” foxface, a diamond goby, watchman goby, cleaner shrimp, and several snails. How do I get rid of the sponges? I am sure they came in on live rock.
Are they pineapple sponges or a different kind of sponge like the above sponge? Pineapple sponges boom then bust in population, so they should go away on their own shortly after you first see them. Other sponges can be either difficult to keep or difficult to get rid of.

Regardless, most sponges are harmless/beneficial filter feeders.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
There's no need to get rid of them. They will diminish in number as the tank matures and are a good source of filtration.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them for decades. The numbers can grow and shrink, but they can stick around mostly in equilibrium for a while. I leave them alone and they don't harm anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back