OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your others are doing fine and it's roughly in the same place, it's possibly getting stung by another coral. What's it nearby? Any torchs or galaxea nearby?
Nothing seems to be touching it, and if it was, it's just more birdsnest/seriatopora next to it

I do have a torch, but at the other end of the tank

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just doesnt have any colour, and hasn't since I got it

My other birdsnest and montis have coloured up nicely
20240225_214415.jpg
Hard to tell in the pic because of the colour lighting but, it looks to have burnt tips.

How long have you had it?
Acclimation process?
Parameters... , please list.

Edit: I say burnt tips and not growth tips because of the tips I circled. They are not indicative of growth tips.

Screenshot_20240226_064749_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell in the pic because of the colour lighting but, it looks to have burnt tips.

How long have you had it?
Acclimation process?
Parameters... , please list.

Edit: I say burnt tips and not growth tips because of the tips I circled. They are not indicative of growth tips.

Screenshot_20240226_064749_Chrome.jpg
I've had it for about 5 days, but I got the 2 other birdsnest next to it in the same order (they were shipped and had no light for at least 18 hours or so)

For acclimation I dripped for 40 mins, dipped, and had the light on about 10% power so I could see what I was doing when I glued them, light was off for a few hours, then on very low power for the rest of the day, next day lights were back to normal

Parameters:
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm
Alk: 10dkh (slowly lowering to 8dkh with water changes)
Calcium: 400ppm
Mag: 1450ppm

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for about 5 days, but I got the 2 other birdsnest next to it in the same order (they were shipped and had no light for at least 18 hours or so)

For acclimation I dripped for 40 mins, dipped, and had the light on about 10% power so I could see what I was doing when I glued them, light was off for a few hours, then on very low power for the rest of the day, next day lights were back to normal

Parameters:
Nitrate: 5-10ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm
Alk: 10dkh (slowly lowering to 8dkh with water changes)
Calcium: 400ppm
Mag: 1450ppm
Okay, from what my experience is with birdsnest coral is the are finicky at best.
I could not grow one in my system for years. Finally got one to grow that was a gift from a fellow reefer last year. This is in my 10 yo system.

How are the others today?

I have changed up my acclimation process and have not lost one since. I don't drip anymore because after being in a dark bag for hours, I want them to go into clean water ASAP. I believe it's less stressful to the frag.
I float to temp, dip in any coral dip(I use revive), inspect with a magnifying glass and in it goes.

I do like the fact your lowering the alk. 8dkh is a nice spot to be.
Po4 @ 0.03 is on the lower end but if that's where you run, okay. Personally I wouldn't let it get any lower.( especially if your alk is at 10dkh.)

OP
OP
Brad Coughlan

Brad Coughlan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, from what my experience is with birdsnest coral is the are finicky at best.
I could not grow one in my system for years. Finally got one to grow that was a gift from a fellow reefer last year. This is in my 10 yo system.

How are the others today?

I have changed up my acclimation process and have not lost one since. I don't drip anymore because after being in a dark bag for hours, I want them to go into clean water ASAP. I believe it's less stressful to the frag.
I float to temp, dip in any coral dip(I use revive), inspect with a magnifying glass and in it goes.

I do like the fact your lowering the alk. 8dkh is a nice spot to be.
Po4 @ 0.03 is on the lower end but if that's where you run, okay. Personally I wouldn't let it get any lower.( especially if your alk is at 10dkh.)
The other birdsnest and montis seem fine still with nice polyp extention

On the pink birdsnest, is it the polyps that are meant to be pink or the skeleton? Polyp extension on mine is very very reduced but the colour seems more pink on them, but on top of a brown and white skeleton

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other birdsnest and montis seem fine still with nice polyp extention

On the pink birdsnest, is it the polyps that are meant to be pink or the skeleton? Polyp extension on mine is very very reduced but the colour seems more pink on them, but on top of a brown and white skeleton
From the ones I've seen, they are a pink flesh and pinkish polyps.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back