Pink Floyd appreciation thread

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.......reading through the music threads (and at the suggestion of @Jman76), starting a Pink Floyd appreciation thread. Gilmour or Waters (or both :)) ? Favorite Pink Floyd album? Favorite Roger Waters album? Favorite songs? We could talk about Gilmour's solo stuff also........if you want lol.

I will kick it off............favorite Floyd album by far is The Wall.....could throw in The Final Cut also since they kind of go together. Favorite Waters album surprisingly is his newest (and probably his last), Is This The Life We Really Want. They are all good though.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one @Waters ! Love The Wall. And The Final Cut is so underrated! Ive been stuck on Obscured by Clouds lately. That and some of the really old Syd stuff. Favorite Waters album would have to be The Final Cut jk, Amused to Death. Anything by Gilmour is fantastic...grew up trying to learn to play guitar like him. Yeah right haha
Lucky enough to see Floyd in 1994, tho without Waters. But did see him do The Wall in 2010. That show was awesome

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one @Waters ! Love The Wall. And The Final Cut is so underrated! Ive been stuck on Obscured by Clouds lately. That and some of the really old Syd stuff. Favorite Waters album would have to be The Final Cut jk, Amused to Death. Anything by Gilmour is fantastic...grew up trying to learn to play guitar like him. Yeah right haha
Lucky enough to see Floyd in 1994, tho without Waters. But did see him do The Wall in 2010. That show was awesome
I actually have seen the last few Waters tours (was going to his current one This is Not a Drill....most likely will be cancelled if it hasn't been already). Also saw Floyd a couple of times post Roger Waters. Definitely can't deny Gilmour's voice and guitar abilities.......add Water's dark lyrics and distinctive voice and it shows why they were so special together. I actually didn't care to much for Syd's style...which probably sounds crazy since I am such a huge Floyd fan. I cringe at their first album with the exception of Astronomy Domine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the wall is probably everyones(or mosts) #1, I personally like A momentary lapse of reason.

Favorite song:
Mother
Wow, I didn't expect any post Roger Waters albums to make top album......it was definately good though. Actually all of the later Floyd albums were good. I liked The Division Bell also.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it would be great to see them try to make something work, but theyre so far apart. Man, if they all could have made something happen before Rick passed....
Yeah, I agree....I think that time has passed. Can you imagine the amount of money they could have brought in with a joint tour? Not that they needed it lol.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge PF fan …. probably my second favorite band. Classic example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Too bad Waters and Gilmour never seemed to realize that. I'm also a big fan of live recordings, so Empire Pool and Wall live are my two favorites. Still rankles me to this day that there was no professional recording made of the '77 In the Flesh tour :(. Animals is probably my favorite of the studio albums with Meddle a close second. I just got tired of the Wall studio album. Got payed to death during my freshman year in College. Neither of the two post-Waters PF albums have been particularly memorable to me; and I find the Waters solo stuff (including The Final Cut) borderline unlistenable.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge PF fan …. probably my second favorite band. Classic example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Too bad Waters and Gilmour never seemed to realize that. I'm also a big fan of live recordings, so Empire Pool and Wall live are my two favorites. Still rankles me to this day that there was no professional recording made of the '77 In the Flesh tour :(. Animals is probably my favorite of the studio albums with Meddle a close second. I just got tired of the Wall studio album. Got payed to death during my freshman year in College. Neither of the two post-Waters PF albums have been particularly memorable to me; and I find the Waters solo stuff (including The Final Cut) borderline unlistenable.
I listen to the Wall live ALOT also. I can never get tired of either the live versions or the studio versions though. I am kinda suprised you don't care for Water's solo stuff though. Check out Is This The Life We Really Want if you haven't already.......a lot of comparisons to old classic Floyd.

U

User1

View Badges
I'll bite - and be odd man out. I like Floyd but don't like the internal drama. We've seen it with Floyd, Simon and Garfunkle, Blue Oyster Cult, Rainbow, and the list goes on, and on. Anyway...rant aside.

Division Bell is probably my favorite and most played looking at by Plex history.

Dream Theaters complete Dark Side of the Moon (live) is great and second most played. Go figure.

Shadow Gallery melody - Floydian Memories = awesome.

Sinead O'Connor feat. Roger Waters - Mother. That is about as far as I get with Roger Waters solo. A healthy Sinead's voice, is, well haunting. Fitting in this song.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Floyd was my first love of music. The first band I listened to that blew my perception of what music could sound like. From that moment until now and forever they are my favorite band. My personal ranking goes as (this ranking changes for me frequently but this would be as of right now)
1. Meddle
2. Dark side
3. Wish you were here
4. The Wall
5. Animals
6. A Saucerfull of Secrets
7. Atom heart mother
8. Obscured by clouds
9. Final cut
10. Piper at the Gates
11. More
12. Ummagumma *(not a fan of the studio album but I do really like the live album)
13. Division bell
14. Momentary lapse of reason
15. endless river (only album I can admit to not listen all the way through yet. So I can’t honestly judge it.)

I’m also partial to the Pulse live album, minus most of the post waters material.
Not partial to Waters or Gilmour on their own. I think they complemented each other’s strengths and weaknesses and we’re best together in the middle of their career. My absolute favorite song is Echoes. It does get tedious in the middle for casual listening, but overall I think it’s absolutly brilliant.

Never had the opportunity to see them live. I did get to see Gilmour solo with Richard Wright in Chicago 13 years ago, and they played echoes live which is enough for me to be happy ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda suprised you don't care for Water's solo stuff though. Check out Is This The Life We Really Want if you haven't already.......a lot of comparisons to old classic Floyd.

I have not listened to his most recent one, good suggestion, I shall get it. I have tended to think of RW as a lyrics first songwriter, and I am a music first listener. His stuff is just too strident to me. Always felt that Gilmour (and Wright) were abel to soften the edges of his stuff, though I think they had largely given up by The Final Cut.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had the opportunity to see them live. I did get to see Gilmour solo with Richard Wright in Chicago 13 years ago, and they played echoes live which is enough for me to be happy ;)

I'm old enough to have been able to go to many of the classic mid-1970s tours. Saw them in 1977 on the In the Flesh tour. Had an opportunity to go to a wall show at Nassau Colliseum in 1980, but was a poor student at the time and the $$ was too high. Had i known that it was the last time they would tour as a four piece ...... Saw Gilmour-Floyd some years later ..... just not the same.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back