Pink Panther Growth Progression

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not much for pictures, but I wanted to document this one since this is a holy-grail type of coral for me. Most people consider it the slowest grower of all... so we will see.

My photo skills are horrible, despite having a 5d Mark4 and a handful of L lenses, so you all will have to imagine the pinker color and the electric sheen.

Feb 16th, 2018:

April 25th, 2018:

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job growing this coral! Is it the DFS pink panther?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. OG Pink Panther. The Dr. Foster's and Smith one is probably from the same source, but they like to put DFS on the front of them anyway. I did not get it from Live Aquaria.

Purple Monster is not really a slow grower for me. If measured in weight, I would say that it grows about average for an acro, but it just so thick and stubby.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that looks big enough to cut a frag for me :) How hard is the original to find? What's the average bbn price on this piece these days?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I think that’s actually the first picture I’ve seen you post. If it’s like everything else you’ve got I’m sure it’ll grow well

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly don't think Adam has it any more. @jda - please leep me in mind when you have frags ready. Have been looking for one for ages.

Regards,
Abhishek

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in seeing how this one does for you. My last one grew ultra slow and made the PM look like a normal growing acro.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not really have trouble growing PM. It is not like a stag or anything, but I can grow it as fast as OBT for me.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A pink panther can be softball size in 4-5 years easy if you don't hack it up. I'd say that it and the PM take twice as long as most acros to get to colony size. Problem is people hacking them up when they are small and stunt growth or kill them.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not frag stuff while they are small. I am not a farmer or chop-shop. This is probably why my PMs (I have several in the same tank) and OBT grow pretty good once they get going.

My normal MO is to take 2-3 frags from the bottom when it gets 2.5-3 inches to "trade for backups" and other nice corals.

goodtogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3457BC2D-0D19-4648-AD37-5344927A7107.jpeg

I believe the Pink Panther and the Purple Monster is the same species but different in coloration. I have both and they are both slow to grow for me. I normally never frag either. The above BC Pink Panther started as a very small Frag about 3-4yrs ago.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing a bit and has encrusted the plug, and then some. It should pick up the pace a little bit soon. Again, sorry for the bad color:

Thats so ugly man !!!! Better you send it to me so that your tank is not blemished by the ugliness of it :p
On a serious note, amazing man !!!! Guess you are baking it in your phoenix divine light ..

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to kill a massive amount of red planaria and all of my acropora had a setback for about a month... they lost a bit of color and did not really grow, but none died or had any STN or anything. I came out OK, all things considered - I should have treated before there were so many. The blues/greens/yellows did OK, reds not so well and the purples suffered as much as anything... amazing to see the different colors show different levels of disgust with the flatworm toxin.

It is getting about 475 PAR under a 14k Phoenix.

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the planaria. That’s a nasty battle which will require many treatments and patience to win.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back