Pink/Purple Skimmate?

DerpFish

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2022
Messages
115
Reaction score
127
Location
Big Lake, MN
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. So this is my second week actively skimming on my relatively freshly cycled 150g and when I went to clean out my skimmer cup I was surprised to see that there was a pinkish purple layer in the cup that was not there last week.
PXL_20230508_123449351.jpg


Has anyone ever seen something like this before? Right now there are just some snails, crabs, and a few coral in the tank. I'm feeding NLS algaemax pellets until more substantial algae growth occurs, with a weekly dose of home grown phyto to boost pod populations.

I know from my clinical microbiology class that certain bacteria can produce colors like this so maybe that's what's causing it. Does anyone have any theories as to what could be happening here?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new