Pink Square Anthias

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Becks17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have experience with Biota’s captive bred pink square anthias? I’ve just ordered a pair and expect to getting them tomorrow. Just hoping to hear from others that have been raising them.

They will actually be my 8th and 9th fish from Biota (6th species of fish), and to be honest I’ve had mixed success with them.
I’ve had a couple otherwise healthy looking fish disappear after a few months, another blenny that after a few months started to have trouble eating and seemed to have starved, one of my royal grammas came with a jaw deformity and possibly a swim bladder issue (has trouble staying horizontal but otherwise healthy and active), and my yellow tang has always had slight HLLE. That being said, my yellow tang is otherwise healthy, active, and vibrant yellow. It’s grown from a tiny baby to well over 4” in less than a year. It’s definitely my favorite fish. My mandarin has also grown fat and beautiful!

All that is to say that, even though it’s not perfect, I really like and support Biota’s products and what they’re doing with captive breeding. I’m excited to see how the anthias fair, and am also eagerly awaiting for the marine bettas to be back in stock. I waited too long to pull the trigger last time!

FeliciaM

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always loved this species, but couldn't bring myself to keep them because they don't usually eat in captivity (and I have trained wild seahorses, pipefish, sea moths, tilefish, and lionfish to eat frozen) By the time wild square anthias get to your LFS, they're often already too far gone, and nothing can be done.

Last summer, I started working (remotely) for Biota, and they sent me some fish "models." I was expecting the Biota square anthias to be at least a LITTLE challenging, but no. They ate pellets 5 minutes after I cut them out of the bags. They're just as easy as CB clownfish.

My friend Abbey got a trio yesterday, and she kept sending me videos of them eating pellets right after they acclimated. I just laughed and said, "I told you!"

The first pic is from the day mine arrived. They grew shockingly quickly, and the dominant one is almost 4" long now. I can't wait until that one gets male coloration. Watching them successfully compete with my dominant Joculator and big fat Gem for pellets every day never gets old.

Attachments

• anthias (2).jpg
    anthias (2).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
  • Anthias.jpg
    Anthias.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Anthias2.jpg
    Anthias2.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Anthias3.jpg
    Anthias3.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
Becks17

Becks17

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got them this morning and they’re looking great so far. Just like @FeliciaM said, they basically took to TDO pellets immediately. The video shows them when I first tried feeding them within an hour of acclimation since they were hanging by the surface, but they’ve been eating even more eagerly since then. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Attachments

• 0044D923-9FF1-4F8B-8604-9D841333F133.jpeg
    0044D923-9FF1-4F8B-8604-9D841333F133.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 42
  • C91C772D-586A-44D6-AAE5-AD7744770A43.jpeg
    C91C772D-586A-44D6-AAE5-AD7744770A43.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 45

What is the best SPS starter coral?

• Seriatopora (Bird's Nest Coral)

Votes: 60 41.1%
  • Stylophora (Cat’s Paw Coral)

Votes: 35 24.0%