Pintail Fairy wrasse

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this pintail fairy from the LFS yesterday and put her in my established QT tank. Haven’t started any CP yet as I wanted to make sure she was eating well first. Initially she hid for the first day, but just today came out a bit when I was feeding a little frozen. I didn’t see her eat, but she did move from her hiding spot. Then I noticed this around her eye. Seems like the skin is a bit blistered? Maybe it’s normal, but I’m not so sure. She also seems to be breathing fairly rapidly. Any thoughts?

5B6C99A0-02AB-4AE8-AB33-F35FC17D2E75.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got this pintail fairy from the LFS yesterday and put her in my established QT tank. Haven’t started any CP yet as I wanted to make sure she was eating well first. Initially she hid for the first day, but just today came out a bit when I was feeding a little frozen. I didn’t see her eat, but she did move from her hiding spot. Then I noticed this around her eye. Seems like the skin is a bit blistered? Maybe it’s normal, but I’m not so sure. She also seems to be breathing fairly rapidly. Any thoughts?

5B6C99A0-02AB-4AE8-AB33-F35FC17D2E75.jpeg
Around her eye, it looks like it may be damage/injury from netting at lfs
For breathing, can also be from netting but confirm your ammonia and nitrate levels are not elevated
Did you acclimate fish to the quarantine tank?

OP
OP
J

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around her eye, it looks like it may be damage/injury from netting at lfs
For breathing, can also be from netting but confirm your ammonia and nitrate levels are not elevated
Did you acclimate fish to the quarantine tank?
Okay, that’s good to know. I’ll check ammonia and nitrite, but I can’t imagine they are elevated since this QT has been up and running for almost 4 months now with some fish just getting done. I did a big water change and put another 3 in there. The salinity was the same as the LFS, so I just did a temperature acclimation and put them in. The other two fish seem to be doing well as far as breathing goes. This is my first wrasse I’m QTing myself so I’m hoping I don’t mess it up!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression that fairy wrasses don't need sand. I could very well be wrong about this!
They don’t only Halichoeres and Leopard Wrasses burrow….for the most part just these two.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was under the impression that fairy wrasses don't need sand. I could very well be wrong about this!
For quarantine, not needed even in display- their more ornamental

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pintail three weeks ago for $50 during my LFS pre black Friday sale. I initially thought it was too good to be true when I notice one eye looked a bit swollen. It was also very skittish. I put it in my nano reef tank that doubles as an observation tank. It wouldn't come out the first two days. 3rd day it came out during feeding but quickly went back into cave. I have to feed and back away from the tank quickly. By end of week it was eating and out a lot more. The eye also recovered and looked normal. A few days later, I added it to my 200g display and it's out the entire day and just enjoying the big tank.

I hope yours acclimate quickly like mine. They are a beautiful fish.

OP
OP
J

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pintail three weeks ago for $50 during my LFS pre black Friday sale. I initially thought it was too good to be true when I notice one eye looked a bit swollen. It was also very skittish. I put it in my nano reef tank that doubles as an observation tank. It wouldn't come out the first two days. 3rd day it came out during feeding but quickly went back into cave. I have to feed and back away from the tank quickly. By end of week it was eating and out a lot more. The eye also recovered and looked normal. A few days later, I added it to my 200g display and it's out the entire day and just enjoying the big tank.

I hope yours acclimate quickly like mine. They are a beautiful fish.
I might wait a week before I start copper just to make sure that it’s eating well. I also got this one at a steal! Great to hear yours is doing well!

OP
OP
J

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just noticed one of her pectoral fins on the other side was shredded. I have a feeling the other fish in the QT, a couple small springer damsels were possibly bullying the wrasse. She’s not looking great at all.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just noticed one of her pectoral fins on the other side was shredded. I have a feeling the other fish in the QT, a couple small springer damsels were possibly bullying the wrasse. She’s not looking great at all.

Springeri are nicer as far as damsels go, but I wouldn't trust them too much.
Can you put in a tank divider?

Jay

OP
OP
J

Johng723

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri are nicer as far as damsels go, but I wouldn't trust them too much.
Can you put in a tank divider?

Jay
Thanks Jay, I got the Springeris for the sole purpose of flatworm control, but I’m re-thinking the idea of keeping them. It could be that they took over this 30g QT and just got really territorial. Unfortunately, the pintail did not make it through the night.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back