pipefish and lps corals

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've read twice in different threads that there are some lps corals that are a hazard to pipefish, but it never was made clear, which lps, and what pipefish?

brannock_16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be any overly aggressive Lps such as the cynaria family, any large sized scolymia, and any other meat corals that avidly display feeder tentacles and readily eat anything that lands on them while in feed mode.

That's just my best guess though. I would think chalices, acans, micros, smaller hammers, frogspawns and the like would not be aggressive enough to eat a mature pipe.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
my dragonface pipefish found its demise on my scolies.one scoly was eating the head,the other was eating the tail.looked like the spaghetti scene in Lady and the Tramp.

Ouch!

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My plan is to add a single ( maybe 2 ) pipefish to my 50 gallon tank, that I have started stocking with branching type lps. hammers, frogspawn, torch candycane type corals, with a few favia, or encrusting monti's inbetween.
I really don't want other fish for this tank.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to add a single ( maybe 2 ) pipefish to my 50 gallon tank, that I have started stocking with branching type lps. hammers, frogspawn, torch candycane type corals, with a few favia, or encrusting monti's inbetween.
I really don't want other fish for this tank.

I think you'll be fine with what you've listed. None of those are big enough IMO to eat a pipefish.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I think you'll be fine with what you've listed. None of those are big enough IMO to eat a pipefish.

Thanks. I thought the same when I came up with my plan, but I came accross a couple different posts that said, there might be trouble, but the poster never said with what.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a dendro that was eating an anthia. Of course, it couldn't finish it. My belief is that the anthia was ill, and drifted into the dendro and then met it's demise. Probably most decent sized fish that get eaten by corals aint right.

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often times a sick fish is the culprit of a coral death. But I have personally seen fish run into feeder tentacles entirely by accident and get stung to high hell which causes a chain reaction of stress/running into more corals.

Back