Pipefish Identification

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just purchased this pipefish from my LFS and it was sold to me as a blue stripe pipefish, however I’m not too sure if it is? Can anyone identify what this specimen is?

F3E19A0C-AE2B-4BE4-B31E-F9933A49CE7A.jpeg 80B249EE-5827-4F10-8899-38E725EDE733.jpeg

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I just purchased this pipefish from my LFS and it was sold to me as a blue stripe pipefish, however I’m not too sure if it is? Can anyone identify what this specimen is?

F3E19A0C-AE2B-4BE4-B31E-F9933A49CE7A.jpeg 80B249EE-5827-4F10-8899-38E725EDE733.jpeg
Hi, it is not a pipefish at all, it is diademichtys lineatus, long-snout clingfish, please read about it. They live together with sea urchins, diadema setosum, feeding on their feet. Do you have an urchin in your tank? A difficult fish to feed...

OP
OP
VO6

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it is not a pipefish at all, it is diademichtys lineatus, long-snout clingfish, please read about it. They live together with sea urchins, diadema setosum, feeding on their feet. Do you have an urchin in your tank? A difficult fish to feed...
oh that’s definitely unfortunate. I don’t have an urchin in my reef, however my LFS mentioned it ate cyclo feast and frozen cyclopeeze :/

runcis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do try the same in your tank, perhaps you will be more successful with it than I :).

And you can get an urchin in the future as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a pair for awhile until a power outage killed the tank when I was away. I had them eating ova and other small foods out of clam shells. They learned to go to the clam shell for food. Once eating, they are easy to care for but need small frequent foods and no other fish that will steal the food or blow it out of the shell.

I did not keep an urchin with them.

They eat urchin feet yes but also shrimp eggs so if you can get some LRS eggs or ova, that would be the first thing to try. The reason for the clam shells is from the info I could find, they would also eat burrowing bivalves.

They have been successfully captive bed. They would probably do best in a species tank.

Where I got my info from and was able to successfully replicate and get them eating and such.

Food, they are expensive to feed. ha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
VO6

VO6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a pair for awhile until a power outage killed the tank when I was away. I had them eating ova and other small foods out of clam shells. They learned to go to the clam shell for food. Once eating, they are easy to care for but need small frequent foods and no other fish that will steal the food or blow it out of the shell.

I did not keep an urchin with them.

They eat urchin feet yes but also shrimp eggs so if you can get some LRS eggs or ova, that would be the first thing to try. The reason for the clam shells is from the info I could find, they would also eat burrowing bivalves.

They have been successfully captive bed. They would probably do best in a species tank.

Where I got my info from and was able to successfully replicate and get them eating and such.

Food, they are expensive to feed. ha!

thank you so much for all the info!! :)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back