piping

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really help with imperial measurements because I’m only familiar with metric, however - pipe sizing depends on the expected turnover and drain configuration (i.e: one drain + emergency would be bigger than 2 drains + emergency).

Usually when going with the classic return + drain + emergency than the drain will be larger than the other two.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t really help with imperial measurements because I’m only familiar with metric, however - pipe sizing depends on the expected turnover and drain configuration (i.e: one drain + emergency would be bigger than 2 drains + emergency).

Usually when going with the classic return + drain + emergency than the drain will be larger than the other two.
I think schedule 80- just means the pipe outerrim thickness

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, apparently I did know the word for it in my language, though I always thought it’d be the diameter of the pipe rather than the thickness.

Interestingly enough, to my knowledge the only use of imperial measurements here are for agriculture piping.

Metric is so much simpler, just put I.D/O.D with no fractions or whatsoever and be done with it :grinning-face-with-sweat:
[please don’t scold me with your feets and foots :anxious-face-with-sweat::zany-face:]

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, apparently I did know the word for it in my language, though I always thought it’d be the diameter of the pipe rather than the thickness.

Interestingly enough, to my knowledge the only use of imperial measurements here are for agriculture piping.

Metric is so much simpler, just put I.D/O.D with no fractions or whatsoever and be done with it :grinning-face-with-sweat:
[please don’t scold me with your feets and foots :anxious-face-with-sweat::zany-face:]
We tried the metric thing in the US for about a year when I was in the second grade back in the early 70's, ya no. I'll stick with Feet and inches :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I could just get the cheap pipes from home depot and than use higher quality valves , unions etc?
Yes. Schedule tells you how much pressure a pipe can withstand. In an aquarium, this is almost nothing vs what the pipe industry puts their stuff through. I like Schedule 80 for bulkheads because they are stronger built but they require a bigger hole to match. Otherwise, I use 40 for everything else. The only valves I have on my system are a gate valve which is Sch40, and two 3/4” barb valves for my vinyl return lines. I would never use a Sch40 hardware store ball valve, they are just too hard to adjust.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back