Pirate Monkeys 200g Deep Dimensions

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_3344.JPG

It's cute but are you sure it's reef safe?

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Deal was too good to pass up.

$500 for a 200g Deep Dimension Tank 48x36x27, the stand, and a 50g acrylic sump from my trusted LFS owner, And my first large tank!

IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3328.JPG
IMG_3330.JPG

My wife and I have been talking about getting a 120g tank in the house. She's a planner and likes to have specific direction weeks or months in advanced so I built a mockup of our living room in Blender to work on rearranging the living room to accommodate the aquarium. No sooner did we finally settled on a layout when the 200g tank went on sale I told her that it was only another 12 Inches in depth she ok'd the purchase! She has been a little skeptical about having an aquarium in the house but after almost 6 months of having a smaller tank in my art studio and slowly falling in love with it, she has bought into the hobby! She would go out to the studio just to look at the tank and the idea of relaxing at night next to one in the evening and having giving our son something to watch all day won her over.

Early yesterday I went to the LFS owner's house where he was keeping the tank to inspect it and everything looked great. No bubbles in the seams but the tank and stand could certainly use a little TLC. The LFS owner said he was selling it low just to get it out of his house as it was taking up room. I've known the LFS owner for over a decade and trust him to be honest selling me a quality tank.

After Paying him for the tank and checking out his personal at home tanks I got home and cleared some space in the garage and made plans to pick up the tank later in the day. My father and I went to pick it up with two trucks. The drive home was nerve-wracking but it made the 15-mile drive safe!

When my wife first saw it she said: "wow that's a lot bigger then I thought it was going to be!" (TWSS) She was a bit apprehensive at first but later that day she was actually getting excited about working on getting the stand refurbished and then when I brought up aquascaping she got super pumped! Today she started working on getting the space prepped to move the tank in and really wants to get the ball rolling! My wife is a rockstar and Its so exciting that she's enjoying this hobby with me.

The current checklist is
-Brace the Floor
-Scrape, Sand and Stain the Sand
-Cut out the corner overflows ✅
-Drill back glass and install ghost overflow
-Aquascape
-Plumbing
-Figuring out Lighting

When I first got into this hobby I dreamed of being able to put my kid in a large tank and I finally got the opportunity!
So Pumped for this adventure!

IMG_3344.JPG
So before I go into reading the rest of this thread I have to say thank you! Thank you for bringing back some awesome memories from our 300 deep dimension years and years ago! When we finally got it into the house our daughter begged to get in it just like this!

OP
OP
PirateMonkeyReefer

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I go into reading the rest of this thread I have to say thank you! Thank you for bringing back some awesome memories from our 300 deep dimension years and years ago! When we finally got it into the house our daughter begged to get in it just like this!

Thats so precious. The 300 DD is my dream tank. Kids make this hobby great. Seeing them get lost in the little ocean in your house is priceless

OP
OP
PirateMonkeyReefer

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So late night tank update... the only time I get to post these dang things is after the kiddo gets down for bed.

I've been sanding the stand like a madman working at getting the dang crappy black spray paint off of the beautiful oak underneath. Its the classic tale of a millennial pealing up the vinyl to uncover beautiful hardwood flooring underneath haha. There are some problems as you can see from the pictures below in the rear corners. Some of the oak veneer was pulled off when the previous owner removed the trim in the corners. I'm going to have to pick up some trim so I can rework the corners and hide the stuff that's been stripped off.

Next weekend a buddy is coming to help me lift the tank off the stand so that the rest of the stand can be sanded and stained. I also need to get the back glass of the tank drilled for the overflow to the sump and the return.

The inside will be painted white and I've actually been considering placing a couple of layers of white Tyvek on the bottom to protect against spills. Has anyone else done or heard of this? Also, I'm thinking Killz for the white any opinions here as well?

image4.jpg
image0.jpg

Here are the cabinet doors nearly fully sanded down!

image1.jpg

Here we have the digital layout of the house with the tank placed in it. I taught myself how to use blender about 6 months ago and its turned out to be an indispensable tool for design and troubleshooting difficult spacial problems. In my case, it was essential in convincing the wife how this would work.

livingroom.png

It's also pretty great for mapping out your plumbing and lighting. How does my plumbing look?

plumbing.png

As a final note, I spent almost 2 and a half hours under the house bracing the floor for additional weight. Probably not an absolute necessity but id rather be safe than sorry!

That's all I've got for this weekend's update.

Cheers!

Last edited:

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PirateMonkeyReefer kinda sorry kinda not but I felt since I found this photo I had to share! Here is that picture I was talking about that you so kindly brought back soooo many fond memories of! Our daughter in and my husband next to our old 300DD. Again thank you for that!!!
CEFDBF63-C041-4816-8ED6-A8DE86CD673E.jpeg

OP
OP
PirateMonkeyReefer

PirateMonkeyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@PirateMonkeyReefer kinda sorry kinda not but I felt since I found this photo I had to share! Here is that picture I was talking about that you so kindly brought back soooo many fond memories of! Our daughter in and my husband next to our old 300DD. Again thank you for that!!!
CEFDBF63-C041-4816-8ED6-A8DE86CD673E.jpeg

No need to apologize for sharing something so wholesome kids can be the best! A 300 DD is my next upgrade for sure! Just perfect dimensions!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back