Pirate's Reef - A New Beginning

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to update this thread anymore, until I finally got water in the tank. That happened yesterday. Only 4½ years after I dug this thing out of storage for a second run.

Leak check was ok. Had to re-do a couple screw in fittings with drips, but all is good.

PR-6-29-19-1a.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1b.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1c.jpg

PR-6-29-19-1d.jpg

PR-6-29-19-4.jpg

PR-6-29-19-5.jpg

PR-6-29-19-6.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-1.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-2.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-3.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-4.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-5.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-3.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-4.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-6.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-7.jpg

PRStartUp-7-6-19-8.jpg
It’s a 4th of July miracle! Congratulations!!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to see this updated, looking very nice. :)
Thank you. Granted, it is definitely quirky - a little like me.
twitcypz6.gif

Looking good! Glad to see another tank wet and running:)
Only one more to go! :) I actually played with it a little over this last week. How is your build coming?

It’s a 4th of July miracle! Congratulations!!
Yes, it was a miracle! At least it has water running through it and I can tweak it some more. Adding the salt today. I did the leak test with RO/DI. Our tap water is so terrible )500-600 TDS terrible) that I did not want to even use it for a leak test.

This tank is simply to cool for school!
Coming from a Scurvy sort, like yourself, that is high praise. Argh! :)

He's back!
Thanks Travis. I am not getting any younger, so... :)

What does this do?
It is a stand-by air pump to provide emergency oxygen and water movement. It has a relay that stays open when it is plugged in to AC power. If power goes off the relay turns on the battery powered air pump and it will run for quite a while. A couple of these is what helped save Ian's 135 during Hurricane Rita. Cheap insurance.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind if I borrow some of your ideas? I like the needlepoint canvas.
Of course. I have been using that stuff for 30+ years. I also have used it (doubled up) to block light.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better late than never! I completely understand the slow build, that’s been my approach too, whether or not it’s intentional.

This is maybe the coolest looking tank I’ve seen. My kinda style. Where did you find it?
I made the tank and the chest. :) Used a 20L for my sump and cut all of glass baffles to fit.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scape attempt #1. Took me about 5 minutes. :) This is some of the "aged" Pukani rock that I have had in my 125's rock tub since 2015. Ha.

I made the mistake of ordering some Dr. Tim's One and Only and some ammonium chloride to do a "fishless cycle." I ordered from BRS and used expedited shipping, as was recommended by Dr. Tim's during the summer and winter months. They listed the maximum temp for the the product as 95°. I checked with a digital thermometer when it got here and the liquid was 107°. So, I dumped the whole 2oz bottle in the tank and added the suggested amount of ammonium chloride. It's been 10 days and there has been no change in the ammonia level and no nitrites showing up. So, I believe I blew that attempt and wasted a little bit of money.

PR-7-28-19-2.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back