Pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hope everyone is ok ^_^
Ok i wanted a pistol shrimp and mrs wanted a cleaner shrimp.i got tiger pistol shrimp and ywg today and im reading mixed reviews on if there ok with each other.
My tank is 300 litres/ 80 us gallons.
Im reading pistol will kill cleaners but then reading they be ok with each other.
Ovbiously i plan on making sure pistol well fed and will target some frozen/ pellets and flake and algae flakes.also be detritus and some uneaten food from my 2 clowns and blennie gathers in middle of tank on sandbed and hermits usually clean this. into entrance of burrow with ive put a piece of rock and made entrance for them ( hopefully they stay there) ive added lots small rock rubble for pistol also.
So is key making sure pistol well fed and then wont or very less likely to kill the cleaner shrimp ?
Im also little concerned that one my very small clowns sleeps on sand bed in corner at night but hopefully clown got sense and moves if shrimp comes ha ha .

Heatherhigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi hope everyone is ok ^_^
Ok i wanted a pistol shrimp and mrs wanted a cleaner shrimp.i got tiger pistol shrimp and ywg today and im reading mixed reviews on if there ok with each other.
My tank is 300 litres/ 80 us gallons.
Im reading pistol will kill cleaners but then reading they be ok with each other.
Ovbiously i plan on making sure pistol well fed and will target some frozen/ pellets and flake and algae flakes into entrance of burrow with ive put a piece of rock and made entrance for them ( hopefully they stay there) ive added lots small rock rubble for pistol also.
So is key making sure pistol well fed and then wont or very less likely to kill the cleaner shrimp ?
Im also little concerned that one my very small clowns sleeps on sand bed in corner at night but hopefully clown got sense and moves if shrimp comes ha ha .
They should be fine. I currently have both in my tank and never had an issue.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. I currently have both in my tank and never had an issue.

Ok great ty.
Im guessing can find alot bad reviews on the net as people more likely to share my shrimp or fish or crab or whatever went on killing spree and killed lots rather than someone sharing " hey my tank cool and everything gets on with everyone" if get me.
Ok i try get a cleaner shrimp on the list of critters to get.
And could have 2 cleaners in a 300 litre tank maybe ?
I have 2 big rock structures both seperate from each other.

Heatherhigg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great ty.
Im guessing can find alot bad reviews on the net as people more likely to share my shrimp or fish or crab or whatever went on killing spree and killed lots rather than someone sharing " hey my tank cool and everything gets on with everyone" if get me.
Ok i try get a cleaner shrimp on the list of critters to get.
And could have 2 cleaners in a 300 litre tank maybe ?
I have 2 big rock structures both seperate from each other.
You should be fine with two cleaner shrimp in one tank.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great thanks Heather.
Its shame took me so long to set up a saltwater tank ,its so much more interesting than freshwater for sure.
As sad as it sounds im even enjoying the 10 x zoom on phone and zooming in on bacteria and algae ha ha.
Cant wait for all the critters ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 cleaners will pair up, even in a 50 gallon.
The killing sprees in question are usually species based for pistol shrimp. I think the blue legged ones wont pair up and can be monsters.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i read there was a couple pistol shrimps that wont pair with gobys and they stay in a kind of anemone and some Caribbean ones dont pair and more agressive
2 cleaners will pair up, even in a 50 gallon.
The killing sprees in question are usually species based for pistol shrimp. I think the blue legged ones wont pair up and can be monsters.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Watching Videos like this dont do no good ha ha but this in the wild and they need to kill to eat, and in an aquarium.food usually given to them on a plate .well lets hope,because other option is i give them a expensive snack ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its really not fair, the one in the video doesn't need anyone. He's a monster (blue legged). Your shrimp uses the goby for protection. Still packs a punch I am sure.

Edit: that poor skunk was set up to die. Not fair for him either.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really not fair, the one in the video doesn't need anyone. He's a monster (blue legged). Your shrimp uses the goby for protection. Still packs a punch I am sure.

Edit: that poor skunk was set up to die. Not fair for him either.
Ok fair enough i didnt notice blue legs but see them now.
But thats amazing how it snaps it claw and produces shockwave and so much heat.absolutely amazing

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pistols are amazing shrimp. Hopefully you'll enjoy your goby and shrimp. I have yet to make a system for that. My current tank I'd probably never see them.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistols are amazing shrimp. Hopefully you'll enjoy your goby and shrimp. I have yet to make a system for that. My current tank I'd probably never see them.
What im hoping is they make a tunnel starting where i made a rock entrance for them and i see mainly the ywg at entrance or around/ close to entrance and only see shrimp occasionally.
And just hope they dont make tjeir entrances at back of rocks where cant really see them.but i will see in time what happens.but im happy i got them today as really wanted pistol for years but then got put off.but decided other day.i will just get one and it be ok and not to worry as everything always ends up ok in life in the end ^_^

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You got lucky at least. Some have reported even bonded pairs splitting up after they received them.

That shrimps going to tunnel all over the place. You could get pretty lucky.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they paired up in lfs under sand bed in tunnel and been together in bag home and put them in tank next to each other and pistol went straight to work digging tunnel.
Lights went out 1 hour ago and just light from tv on.and been in tank 4 hours or so now.he not dug a proper tunnel yet but he made massive hole under rocks i put there and dug little under to side of rock.but only new .
Hopefully in morning i wake up and there a tunnel where i want it and goby standing guard and clownfish that sleeps in corner still alive ha ha ^_^
And the wrasse i got comes out the sand as only seen him for 10 seconds then nosed dived into sand ^_^
I reckon 2 days he be out and about.
Mrs guessed 2 weeks as i said some say they stay under sand bed for week or so ehen first introduced,again another amazing creature ( how the hell it breathes under the sand i will never know )

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When wrasses 'dive' under the sand, they secrete a thick but porous mucus coat that allows them to continue breathing uninterrupted.

Ok just googled it a and got reminded something i once read.
Ok thanks everyone for the replys

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope the wrasse doesn't mess up the shrimps tunnels. Might become an issue for the poor guy.
Yeah this was one the reasons what put me off getting a pistol as i love wrasses and want leadt one or maybe 2.and im thinking what would happen if wrasse dive bombed down into sand bed right into a tunnel.but im guessing/ well hoping they all work out where each other is and sort it out between them.
But wrasses and blennies i love the look/ activity of these guys ^_^

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 54 55.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back